Keg dry hop. Extraction time???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I have a neipa that has very little nose to it, long story. So I kegged it a few days ago and I just added a sanitized hop bag tied off with sanitized floss and 3oz of galaxy to the keg which is about 3/4 full. How long does it take for the dh to sit before I’d notice any aroma or flavor to the beer if it will even make a difference.

Are you asking how long it takes to extract most of the desirable aroma/flavor compounds? Or are you asking how long you could leave the hops in the beer before causing harm?

You might want to take a look at this article by Scott Janish.
http://scottjanish.com/a-case-for-short-and-cool-dry-hopping/
Yes how long will it take at keezer temps to extract some flavor/aroma into this beer. I’m hoping it can improve what’s in the keg now.

Yes how long will it take at keezer temps to extract some flavor/aroma into this beer. I’m hoping it can improve what’s in the keg now.

IMO, about 3-4 days, give or take.

IMO, about 3-4 days, give or take.
That’s an interesting and very informative article. I think once I hopefully get the desired extraction I’ll pull the hop bag out but as long as I’m pulling pints it may not be worth the possible o2 exposure to pull the bag.

fwiw, I never remove keg-hops until the keg kicks.
Introduced cold and kept cold the whole time I've never had anyone pick up any grassy or woody notes...

Cheers!
Yeah I’ll prob leave em. It’s crazy these hops were added about 7hrs ago and they’ve already saved this beer. Got that really nice fresh galaxy flavor now where it was just light aromatics and more sweet malt taste.

Introduced cold and kept cold the whole time I've never had anyone pick up any grassy or woody notes...

Cheers!
i never take them out until the keg kicks, but i'm lazy about certain things. i have had them pick up some 'plant-ey' flavors after three weeks or so. not grassy or vegetal(hate that term), but more of a fresh green plant flavor that's not unpleasant at all.

i suppose you might get some harsher flavors from danker varieties like simcoe, but i avoid it because i'm not a fan of that much cat peepee.

Cheers!

I may have found a new thing. I usually ddh in my fermenter but I might do one addition to the fermenter and then another 3oz like this one when I keg. Trouble is I transfer under co2 so I’d have to pop the lid at some point to add the keg hop bag. Wonder if it’d be better to do it after I purge the starsan keg with co2 and there’s still that co2 haze or fully transfer the beer, add hop bag And purge keg a couple times before force carbing. This could also help save my yield since less wort will be sucked up by the dry hops in the fermenter, eh but I guess the same would happen in the keg to.

I may have found a new thing. I usually ddh in my fermenter but I might do one addition to the fermenter and then another 3oz like this one when I keg. Trouble is I transfer under co2 so I’d have to pop the lid at some point to add the keg hop bag. Wonder if it’d be better to do it after I purge the starsan keg with co2 and there’s still that co2 haze or fully transfer the beer, add hop bag And purge keg a couple times before force carbing. This could also help save my yield since less wort will be sucked up by the dry hops in the fermenter, eh but I guess the same would happen in the keg to.
how much star san is in there initially? i'd hang the bag right after i shake the star san around, then leave it suspended in there the whole time.

how much star san is in there initially? i'd hang the bag right after i shake the star san around, then leave it suspended in there the whole time.
I had a 5 gal bucket with the starsan in it so I soaked the bag and rung it out before I put in the hops and I draped it around a pitcher to let it drain a little more before I added the hops, I also sprayed the pitcher with my spray bottle of starSan I then added the hops tied it off with floss soaked in starsan it’s waxed unflavored so I dropped that in and measured the floss so the bag wouldn’t hit the bottom and clog the dip tube.

Wonder if it’d be better to do it after I purge the starsan keg with co2 and there’s still that co2 haze...
Is that the new fancy term for CO2 blanket? :p
If you're going to open up the keg at any point in time you might as well save yourself the trouble of purging the keg at all.

Cheers!

This. I keg hop all my NEIPA's. I leave them in the entire time. This has been up to six weeks. I never experience grassy notes.

Another dry hopper that never had grassyness. Now I do put them in a hop spider and attach to the lid, so after a little bit, it is no longer in the beer.

Latest posts

Back