Keg conditioning - removal of tannins, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlmbrwng

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been touched upon numerous times, but I'm having trouble finding a thread for the specific question:
Can I just cold condition in the keg, then remove whatever it is that drops out by pouring the beer? In other words, if all of the unwanted proteins and other things drop to the bottom, will it be the first thing that gets poured out of the tap? Or is this not a good way to do this?
I did not cold crash before racking to keg, I'm hoping to do it at the stage.

I never cold crash my beers. Often the first couple of glasses are full of debris. Sometimes so thick that I dump them. Sometimes only slightly cloudy and quite drinkable.

If you don't plan on moving your keg and stirring up the sediment again you should be good to go. I used to gelatin the beer when I transferred to the keg from primary. Works great.

The short answer is yes, you can cold condition in a keg. There are a few things to be concerned about. You are correct, whatever dormant yeast etc will fall to the bottom and theoretically pour out first. The concern is clogging the liquid out tube. I have a keg that I cut the liquid dip tube a little shorter for IPAs that I dry hop in the keg. I lose a few oz of beer but don't get clogs. Some people transfer to a second keg via CO2 to avoid oxidation, others just cold condition for a certain time and then drink from the "cold condition keg." I guess it depends what is dropping out and if you are concerned about prolonged exposure and need to get the beer off of the junk.

Back