Keg and Carb at Room Temp... store in growlers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstricker

Reaction score
OK, I know there is some table floating around at force carbing at different temperatures... but i can't seem to find the correct wording in my searches. So I have some questions.

I just started and got my first keg system. I don't yet have a chest freezer for good storage so i'm planning on storing in my basement (consistent temps in the mid to upper 60's).

Can anyone confirm my plan as follows. I want to force carb at room temperature (i know this will take a higher PSI but should yield similar results). I want to store the keg at serving pressure (5-10psi). I would then like to distribute to a growler for relatively immediate consumption (within the week). I'm wonder if a should use a homemade beer gun to fill with counter pressure... or a "growler tube" on a picnic tap. Then refrigerate to cool my brew. I know growler caps aren't reliable so storage in a growler for a long time is not a good idea. Also I am aware that the best method is to ensure the headspace in the growler is limited (capping on foam or purging the head space with CO2; depending on the bottling method).

From my research I think this should work. Any tips or pointers? Any resources on carbing at room temp?

You will need to store the kegs at the chart pressures to maintain carbonation. At upper 60's, that's gonna be around 25psi. Here's the real rub, you cannot dispense warm carbonated beer into a growler and maintain carbonation. it's going to foam so bad you will hate your life. Counterpressure will help, but at higher temps CO2 does not want to stay dissolved when the head pressure drops (like when you remove the counterpressure stopper and stumble to get the growler lid on)

Bobby,
You were right, never got a good carb level... never got a decent pour... tried balancing the line diameters and length etc etc... converted a deep freezer to a keezer and been smooth sailing ever since.

Going to kegs without knowledge of needing to keep them temp controlled while dispensing was a newbie mistake, but in the end I got a keezer outta the deal!

Thanks for the help!

Back