Keezer Parts List... I'm Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadius856

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning my keezer out. Read up tons on the GE 7.0 FCM7SUWW and am pretty sure I want that model. In the meantime, I figure there's no harm in keeping an eye out for sales to save on the overall cost. Been reading every keezer thread I can find, but it's just too much to take in without being able to lay hands on parts or ask questions. So, here I am, in need of help finishing my parts list.

I want 5 cornys - 4 ball on the floor for serving, 1 ball or pin on the on the hump for lagering or force carbing (perhaps it'll be a pin lock to save on collar height, who knows). I have room for a single 5# tank inside with this setup.

So far, I've determined I'll need (or rather, want):

***** UPDATED 12/27/2012 *****

Home Depot: $229 (occasionally on sale for $168-186, subsidized some places)
1x GE 7.0CF FCM7SUWW
--- or Magic Chef 7.0CF HMCF7W, or Holiday 7.0CF LCM070LC, or Danby 7.0 CF DCF700W1
------ but not GE 7.0CF FCM7DUWW

KegConnection: ~$450 (no tax to CA, incl. $8 flat rate shipping)
2x 5# Al CO2 tanks ($54.95 ea, sale)
1x Dual Primary w/ check valves, ¼" MFL ($109.95 ea)
6x Ball Lock Quick Disconnect Set ($14.89 ea), set includes
..... 1x Black Liquid Quick Disconnect, ¼" MFL
..... 1x Grey Gas Quick Disconnect, ¼" MFL
..... 1x Swivel Nut, ¼" FFL x ¼" barb
..... 1x Swivel Nut, ¼" FFL x 5/16" barb
2x Black Liquid Quick Disconnect ($5.95 ea) for keg-keg jumper
6x Swivel Nut, ¼" FFL x ¼" barb ($1.95 ea)
6x Swivel Nut, ¼" FFL x 5/16" barb ($2.95 ea)
10x Swivel Nut ¼" flared gasket ($0.25 ea)
30ft Red Bev-lex Gas Line ($0.59/ft)
4x Tailpiece, ¼" MFL ($5.95 ea)
1x Picnic Faucet ($2.95 ea)
4x Faucet Cap ($0.40 ea)
12x Oetiker Clamp, 13.3mm ($0.30 ea)
14x Oetiker Clamp, 15.7mm ($0.30 ea)
1x Oetiker Clamp Tool ($8.95 ea)
3x Gauge Boot, rubber ($1.95 ea)
1x CO2 Wrench, plastic ($2.49 ea)
1x Faucet Wrench, stamped steel ($2.95)
1x KegCo keychain bottle opener (complementary :D)

Birdman Brewing Company: $332.86 (incl. shipping)
1x 4-way Distributor 4-way, w/ check valve shutoffs, ¼" MFL ($39.99 ea)
4x Swivel Nut ¼" flared gasket ($0.25 ea)
1x 100' roll Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra Barrier tubing, 3/16" ID (free shipping)
4x Perlick 525SS All Stainless Combo Kit ($57.99), set includes
..... 1x Perlick 525SS Stainless Faucets
..... 1x 4-1/8" Stainless Shank, ¼" bore
..... 1x 3/16" tailpiece, stainless
..... 1x Hex Beer Nuts
..... 1x Neoprene Washer
..... 1x Faucet Knob

The Beverage Factory: $140 + $12 S/H (no tax to CA)
2x Johnson Controls A419ABG-3C Controller ($59.99 ea)

Amazon: $11 (free Prime shipping, plus tax in CA)
2x Taylor Freezer Thermometer, Large Dial ($5.51 ea)

Midwest Supplies: $285 (incl. shipping, no tax in CA)
2x Refurbished Ball Lock Kegs (for me, $39.99 ea)
2x Refurbished Ball Lock Kegs (for a friend, $39.99 ea)
2x Refurbished Ball Lock Kegs (for a friend, $39.99 ea)

Midwest had a limit of 2 kegs per customers at this price, so I worked out a deal with two friends on them. They each bought two kegs ($95 shipped) and they'd loan them to me initially, and then I could buy them from them at the cost of six 12 pks per keg, their choice of style, bottled. :mug:

Pricing: The lowest prices for most kegging hardware on the net was from Chi Company, which gets fairly bad reviews in the vendor review section. The highest prices were consistently the one-stop retailers (Midwest, Northern, etc). All other vendors were fairly even across the board. I was going to drive down and buy from ChiCo in person, but Todd from Keg Connection got in contact with me and we worked out what I needed. Saving myself the 90 minute drive each way and sales tax off Chi Company's price, along with Keg Connection's low flat rate shipping, actually put KegCo ahead slightly, especially with their CO2 tank sale right now.

Customer Service: Both Keg Connection and Birdman Brewing Company provided excellent customer service via email and were chosen primary based on those factors. All other vendors were chosen because of price.

Is space an issue https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=89985&stc=1&d=1356282511for going with the 7cuft? if not go as big as you can.

DSCN1072.jpg

I am buulding mine too and decided to buy a manifold with threaded MFL connections. In the long run its going to make things easier.

MFL, yes certainly. Was looking at swapping the barbs for MFL last night. Seems like it'll cost a little more, but be well worth it.

As for a manifold... if you unhook one keg on the manifold, won't that depressurize the lines all the way back to the primary and the posts on the rest of the kegs? Or is that loss insignificant?

MFL, yes certainly. Was looking at swapping the barbs for MFL last night. Seems like it'll cost a little more, but be well worth it.

As for a manifold... if you unhook one keg on the manifold, won't that depressurize the lines all the way back to the primary and the posts on the rest of the kegs? Or is that loss insignificant?

I bought a manifold with MFL check valves so as long as you close the valve before you unscrew the gas line you should only lose the gas in that line. If you are switching out kegs then just unhook the quick disconnect like normal and you don't lose any.

Just a heads up. If you're not stuck on GE, the Frigidaire 13cu. ft. model from Lowes is a great option, and is currently $329. Also, its an Energy Star model, so your local energy provider may give you an Energy Rebate for it (my local company will give me a $50 rebate, making it cheaper than most 7 cu. ft. freezers out there).

http://www.lowes.com/pd_287017-2251...re&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=frigidaire&facetInfo=

This model will fit 8 ball lock kegs on the floor, or 7 with a 20lb CO2 tank. It will fit 3 more ball lock kegs on the hump with an 8" (I think) collar. Or it will fit a combination of kegs and carboys/buckets.

I just bought this freezer this past weekend, and have to say its a very nice size. Its about the same length as a 7 cu. ft., but is a little deeper front to back.

Just a heads up. If you're not stuck on GE, the Frigidaire 13cu. ft. model from Lowes is a great option, and is currently $329. Also, its an Energy Star model, so your local energy provider may give you an Energy Rebate for it (my local company will give me a $50 rebate, making it cheaper than most 7 cu. ft. freezers out there).

http://www.lowes.com/pd_287017-2251...re&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=frigidaire&facetInfo=

This model will fit 8 ball lock kegs on the floor, or 7 with a 20lb CO2 tank. It will fit 3 more ball lock kegs on the hump with an 8" (I think) collar. Or it will fit a combination of kegs and carboys/buckets.

I just bought this freezer this past weekend, and have to say its a very nice size. Its about the same length as a 7 cu. ft., but is a little deeper front to back.

Thanks for the heads up. Not particularly set on GE, but definitely set on two 7.0CF models. I'm working with a peculiar room layout and, aside from getting rid of our dryer, that's all that I'm going to get.

My provider (PG&E) does not offer rebates on freezers, regardless of efficiency tier. Occasionally they subsidize the price at the store, especially with LED bulbs and fixtures right now.

Wish I had a bigger space to go larger. Soooooommmmeeeee daaaayyyyy....

Edit: That freezer is on my to-do list for CAD layouts. I measure freezers locally, then draw up every layout I can think of, then post them in the Sizing Your Chest Freezer thead. :)

My advice to you is to check out KegConnection. Instead of piecing together everything, it is a lot easier (and cheaper, usually) to buy a complete kegging kit from them. Here is the 4 tap kit that I bought (I upgraded the regulator and faucets) and I don't regret it at all.
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=709

Initially, I had looked at them as being the sole supplier.

I had wanted to make a few modifications to their package (upgrade to Perlick 525SS, upgrade to dual primary, etc) that their site could handle, and then I wanted a couple other things (slightly longer gas lines for ease of routing, etc) that their site couldn't help me with. I sent an email to see what we could work out, but haven't heard back yet. I understand it's the holidays and they're probably celebrating with family (and I got antsy), so I just started piecing together.

Here's what I've found, so far. Still not done yet. Click for zoom.

KegCo is still in the running for the whole kit and caboodle, minus the 3 yellow lines (already ordered from Birdman). Most vendors are surprisingly close in price on parts other than Kegs, Regulators and Tanks, so the winner will probably be who I trust most with my order.

The hardest part so far has been finding dual body regulators at a decent price with 1/4" MFL fittings and check valves. Most come with 1/4" barbs. Some models it seems obvious I can remove the barbs to expose MFLs, but other models it seems that the shutoff with check valve is permanently connected to the barb.

I too found that most vendors are within a couple dollars of each other on price once you add everything together. Some will be cheaper on certain things, while others are cheaper for something else. But once you add it all together, its easier to just pick a place you like/trust and buy everything together.

I purchased equally between Birdman and Kegconnection. I bought the stuff I wanted faster from Birdman because they're in Cincinnati and I'm in Louisville. The stuff that wasn't as urgent (and slightly cheaper), I got from Kegconnection.

I too found that most vendors are within a couple dollars of each other on price once you add everything together. Some will be cheaper on certain things, while others are cheaper for something else. But once you add it all together, its easier to just pick a place you like/trust and buy everything together.

I purchased equally between Birdman and Kegconnection. I bought the stuff I wanted faster from Birdman because they're in Cincinnati and I'm in Louisville. The stuff that wasn't as urgent (and slightly cheaper), I got from Kegconnection.

Yup. That's right where I'm at. Waiting for a call back from ChiCo because they're within driving distance. Despite bad reviews about their shipping process, if I could place the order in person, I would save a ton on shipping. Barring that, all online vendors seem priced roughly equally.

Edit: Except on Kegs, Primaries, CO2 tanks, and Controllers. Those prices are all over the board.

When ordering my kit from KegConnection, I called with the order # and asked to upgrade to 10 foot beer lines. They tallied it up, gave me the new total and everything was great. This was nowhere near Christmas though.

That's a nice chart, you've definitely done your research lol

When ordering my kit from KegConnection, I called with the order # and asked to upgrade to 10 foot beer lines. They tallied it up, gave me the new total and everything was great. This was nowhere near Christmas though.

That's a nice chart, you've definitely done your research lol

Unfortunately.

There doesn't seem to be standard item names across the board. The flared gaskets in particular. Flared washers, nylon gaskets, nylon washers, nylon nut, swivel nut washer, MFL washer, etc. Many sites I just marked them N/A in that column because I'm sure they sell them, but I couldn't figure out what they thought they should be named.

And not only are they named differently, they appear in different categories on the websites. I spent an hour looking for a specific nut on one website, when its within the first page or two of a different category on another site.

And then, I'll find something on a website, but then when I go back later, I can't find it again, and its not an easily recognizable name to search for. Pain in the rear for sure.

I pieced mine together from a bunch of different places including Amazon and E-Bay. Even with paying the extra shipping I think I saved a few bucks, but it took a while to assemble everything.

I'd defintely avoid the barbed connectors if possible. The MFLs are much easier to work with.

I'd throw in a couple of tap soothers as well. Keeps the fruit flies out. When the weather gets warm there will be fruit flies, trust me. I don't know where they come from, but they show up.

I had problems getting my drip tray to attach using only the rare earth magnets. It would slowly slide down the keezer. I ended up epoxying some small brackets to the freezer body to keep it from sliding. Its hardly noticable. Plus it will hold a glass or pitcher now.

If you have the cash, I'd recommend a second 5# CO2 tank. You'll end up getting one eventually.

I'm considering attaching a large board to my collar that will hang down low enough to screw a regular drip plate onto. I don't want to permanently attach a drip plate to my freezer, the magnets may not be strong enough, and the drip plates with the tall stainless steel back plates are so much more expensive than the ones without...

I'd defintely avoid the barbed connectors if possible. The MFLs are much easier to work with.

Definitely doing this. Going to add Oetiker clamps and the tool to my cart. Once you get past about 10 clamps, they end up cheaper with the tool than using stainless worm gear clamps.

I'd throw in a couple of tap soothers as well. Keeps the fruit flies out. When the weather gets warm there will be fruit flies, trust me. I don't know where they come from, but they show up.

Just Google'd this. Faucet caps. Good idea. I had seen them and wanted them, but forgot to write them down.

I had problems getting my drip tray to attach using only the rare earth magnets. It would slowly slide down the keezer. I ended up epoxying some small brackets to the freezer body to keep it from sliding. Its hardly noticable. Plus it will hold a glass or pitcher now.

Going to wait on the drip tray for now. Will snag that one on eBay when the price is right. In the meantime, it can drip on the tile. It's going in the same room where we feed the dogs their raw chicken, so it gets mopped daily.

If you have the cash, I'd recommend a second 5# CO2 tank. You'll end up getting one eventually.

Good idea. I had wanted a second one anyway. I do have the cash, I think. We'll see. It was going to be a future "add-on", but this seems to be worth adding it to save on repeat shipping. :)

I'm considering attaching a large board to my collar that will hang down low enough to screw a regular drip plate onto. I don't want to permanently attach a drip plate to my freezer, the magnets may not be strong enough, and the drip plates with the tall stainless steel back plates are so much more expensive than the ones without...

I had the same issues. I built an oak box without a bottom. I routered around the top so that my drip tray sits slightly below flush in the box. I stained the box to match my collar. I used a router to create about 20 indentations on the back of the box where I glued my rare earth magnets. The box attaches to my freezer with the magnets and is held up by small metal brackets glued to the freezer. The brackets can be pulled off without damaging the freezer.

It works well and looks pretty good.

Unfortunately.

There doesn't seem to be standard item names across the board. The flared gaskets in particular. Flared washers, nylon gaskets, nylon washers, nylon nut, swivel nut washer, MFL washer, etc. Many sites I just marked them N/A in that column because I'm sure they sell them, but I couldn't figure out what they thought they should be named.

Check out John Guest/ push lock fittings. U. S. Plastics also sells a great inline check valve(64047) that can be used right by the keg so never have to worry that beer can get up into the beer lines. Guest fittings make life a breeze I use them for gas as well as beer they mount in the regs and onto the QD's

Check out John Guest/ push lock fittings. U. S. Plastics also sells a great inline check valve(64047) that can be used right by the keg so never have to worry that beer can get up into the beer lines. Guest fittings make life a breeze I use them for gas as well as beer they mount in the regs and onto the QD's

D'oh. Should have posted an update.

Just got off the phone with Todd at Keg Connection a little bit ago. Placed my order with a few extra add-ons, and it'll be on its way soon. I'll update the OP shortly.

Definitely going to be flare nut MFL/FFLs for the disconnects all around.

Latest posts

Back