Keezer in the basement tap on 1st floor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if it was possible to have a fridge in the basement and run lines to the first floor where the tap will be. It should be short lines say, 15 - 20ft since I have the capability of placing the fridge right under in the same section that the taps will be.

Just kind of brainstorming trying to get some ideas because man I'm tired of bottling so much!

That is how most bars have it. It won't be as easy as just running the lines. You will need to correct the psi to that length (their are many calculators out there). You will also need to figure out a way to insulate it very well. Once the beer leaves the cold fridge/keezer it will obviously start to warm up and that will make it foam more. Wrapping insulating tape around the line and then using foam wrap that you would use on copper water heating piping might work well. Having a fan blow cold air from the fridge up some kind of piping with the line in it might work really well too but much harder to do.

remember you need about 2psi of pressure to pump beer up one foot of 3/8" beer line. so if you are pumping it 15 vertical feet upstairs, you are going to need 30-40 psi in your kegs.

What if you ran your lines through PVC then using the foam pipe insulation. You could then blow cold air up the pvc.

I didn't see this before - but I have a similar set up and can help if you are still trying to do this. PM me

I have a 10ft rise from keg center to taps upstairs.
I use 15ft of 1/4'' bevlex line with one mixer stick for carbs at about 3 volumes. For lower carbs (2.4-2.6) it still pours well, just a bit slower.

I have perlick faucets and a tower and only use pipe insulation wrapped around my beer lines.

I believe my keezer is in the 33F-35F range - but can't recall and think the beer serves at ~42F on the first pour and gets a little colder with successive pours. I think those temps are pretty close but would have to check again since I have been running hte system for over a year like this now.

Back