Keezer Fan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPNew2Brew

Reaction score
I am starting my keezer build - an 8.8 cf Kennmore.

I see some builds add a fan. Of course a fan is to circulate air. What problem is the fan is intended address?

Thank you for the responses.

The fan keeps temperatures even inside. Since the freezer doesn't have any air movement, the area above the cooling coils (the collar) will not cool as easily as the lower portion of the freezer. Hot air rises and cold air sinks, and this coupled with the collar will create stratification of temp (cold temps in the bottom of your freezer, warmer temps at the top. A small fan just blowing air around stops this from happening as easily and evens out the temps throughout the keezer.

Falcon3 - thank you for the response. Does the temperature stratification create dispensing problems, such as foaming, or the like? Or, is the stratification more of a theoretical issue?

I guess my real question is, with a 6 inch insulated collar, do I really need a fan inside my keezer?

You really wont know until you are running it I suppose. Temp varies between the base and top of the keezer between the liquid and air temps. The amount those variable may effect your beer lines varies build to build freezer to freezer... A tap that is getting pulled regularly may not see all that noticeable foaming/warming but a tap that gets pulled every few days could be different. For the investment I would say at least leave room for the option of a fan to be installed.

Agreed. For arguments sake, you don't NEED. A fan, but considering it can be added for under $10 (or almost free) it's nice to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back