Keezer dimensions question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kef300

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a question that's been in my mind for a while. I am building a keezer out of a chest freezer that can tightly fit 3 1/6 barrel kegs. This means the kegs will be in contact against each other and against the walls of the freezer.

I am using a temperature controller, however, I am scared that, since the walls of the freezer get very cold, colder than the set temperature to help cool the volume of air inside the freezer, that the beer inside the kegs will freeze due to the kegs being in contact with said walls.

Has anyone experienced this and is it something I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

Put a PC fan in the keezer, always running, to ensure even temps and put the temperature probe directly against the side of a keg and you should be OK. Unless you're trying to maintain right above freezing...

The stainless keg should pretty effectively sink the temperature from the wall, and the beer temp should follow relatively closely. So as long as you're watching that temperature, I think you'll be fine. I assume you've tried putting the kegs in there already, but it's not like they'll be fully touching the keezer walls, just a bit of each keg will.

You might want to consider putting a mesh "floor" on the keezer to allow for some additional airflow if things are that tight. I think others have done it with cooling racks like you'd use for cookies?

Thanks zachattack. What if I have petainerkegs (PET kegs) in there? Will there by a quicker heat loss from a PET keg instead of an SS keg?

Stainless is a better conductor but I don't know if you'd see a difference! Actually although stainless would wick heat faster the plastic actually might serve to protect the beer from the freezing walls a bit better, even if that means slightly longer cooling times. No promises, just guessing! I really think you'll be fine either way.

Back