Keezer Died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phendog

Reaction score
Around a month ago I traveled to Washington DC for business. When I got home I went to pour a pint from my Keezer and the beer came shooting out of the tap - I also noticed it was warm. Bottom line up front, my Keezer died!!

No time for another Keezer build and most importantly,... loose all those cool stickers, I decided to troubleshoot it.

Long story short, the relay start up capacitor failed. A 24hr turn around from Amazon on a Supco RCO810 3 n' 1 START Hard Start Kit and she is good as new. Oh,... $12.99. Wonder how many tossed their freezers away because of this common failure?

Attachments

• IMG_2304.jpg
    IMG_2304.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 175
Around a month ago I traveled to Washington DC for business. When I got home I went to pour a pint from my Keezer and the beer came shooting out of the tap - I also noticed it was warm. Bottom line up front, my Keezer died!!

No time for another Keezer build and most importantly,... loose all those cool stickers, I decided to troubleshoot it.

Long story short, the relay start up capacitor failed. A 24hr turn around from Amazon on a Supco RCO810 3 n' 1 START Hard Start Kit and she is good as new. Oh,... $12.99. Wonder how many tossed their freezers away because of this common failure?
yup seen a couple threads where people stated the starter was the issue.. ran into it 3 times myself with my kegerator and fridges.

Mine died two weeks ago. Sadly, it's old, the compressor is still running....but not cooling. Same deal: foam is shooting out, and the beer is warm.

Time for a new one. Been working on that for the last 10 days. New freezer, just built a collar, attached the lid....only thing left is holes.

I sure wish I could have found a $12.99 fix. :(

Old:
keezer5tap.jpg

New:
newkeezer2.jpg

I was asking more on how to test if this is the problem. It looks like it was "let's try this first 'cause it's cheap". Will bookmark it anyway. Thanks.
My neighbor suggested the start up relay. We disconnected the keezer from the Johnson Controller and plugged it directly into the wall. Every 20sec's or so you would hear a click - the relay trying to work. I just looked up the replacement process on Youtube and saw the Supco.

Love the flow chart. The vast majority of "Is it dead?" threads end up in the red...

Cheers!
I fixed a few fridges using that chart and YouTube videos. The last one was my Daughter's fridge that had a warm fridge and a normal freezer. Turns out the Evap Fan got stuck and quit turning because they stocked up on frozen chicken breast and jammed the fan housing into the fan trying to fit more chickens in the freezer than it was intended to hold.

Latest posts

Back