Keezer Co2 usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beenym88

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering what you all think. I have a 6 tap keezer and I fly through my CO2 really fast like once a month. I use the co2 to pressurize kegs to clean them and the lines as well. I have everything super tight I regularly check and make sure the clamps are screwed as tight as they will go. Is this normal or am I definitely leaking somewhere? A few of the kegs are used and I had some trouble with the lids at first so maybe the kegs are leaking?

i;ve got a similar 6 tap setup, and average about 14 months with a 20lb tank. i have no knowledge if this is good or bad. i use it primarily for the tap kegs and have another 5lb tank for other non-tap related uses.

Common answer is somewhere between 5-7 kegs on a 5 lb tank. All depends on what all else you use it to do. Purging, transfers, cleaning all affect the length of time. Are you killing all 6 kegs a month? If so, I’m sure it’s a least a happy trip to the airgas supply.

I have three 5 pound CO2 cylinders, one for carbonating kegs, one for my six tap keezer, and the third gets used for cold-crashing carboys and doing CO2-push transfers. Of the three, the keezer's tank gets refilled the least often - it goes at least 6 months or longer - while the other two get filled much more often...

Cheers!

No definitely not going through all the kegs. But as I said I use that tank for cleaning the kegs and lines so maybe that’s the problem still I’m thinking one month there might be a problem

one thing i did to better educate me was to continually weigh my tank (back when i was using a 5lb-er it was easier using my grain scale).

- weigh it when i got it filled, then i know what it should be when "full"
- weigh it before and after purging a full star san'd keg so i knew how much that used
- weigh it each month to see what i'm using per month for just "tap pours"

i found i was using "A LOT" of gas on burst purging kegs, and very little to run the taps. I even think that is what led me to get a big tank just for pouring that would then last a long time. now, i also write on a little tank sticker the date i hook it up to the lines and what the weight is when i get it swapped. it's been's a few years since doing that and i don't think i've ever had less than a year on that tank which is used mostly for the taps, plus i know when i get a swap if i got "shorted" or a "light" fill from airgas if the beginning weight is off.

one thing i did to better educate me was to continually weigh my tank (back when i was using a 5lb-er it was easier using my grain scale).

- weigh it when i got it filled, then i know what it should be when "full"
- weigh it before and after purging a full star san'd keg so i knew how much that used
- weigh it each month to see what i'm using per month for just "tap pours"

i found i was using "A LOT" of gas on burst purging kegs, and very little to run the taps. I even think that is what led me to get a big tank just for pouring that would then last a long time. now, i also write on a little tank sticker the date i hook it up to the lines and what the weight is when i get it swapped. it's been's a few years since doing that and i don't think i've ever had less than a year on that tank which is used mostly for the taps, plus i know when i get a swap if i got "shorted" or a "light" fill from airgas if the beginning weight is off.

AMEN! i do the same, just my scale is always on, and the tank is always on it! :mug:

If you have worm clamps on your lines, ditch them ASAP. Oetiker clamps are far superior to the worm clamps. For one thing, they actually clamps completely around the tubing, with no gaps. Plus you don't have to worry about any part of the clamp slipping on you. Yes, I've had worm clamps not go tighter no matter how much you turned the screw.
The only 'negative' for the Oetiker clamps is you cannot reuse them. For me, that's extremely minor. I buy them by the 25 pack and DGAF when I need to remove them to change things up. Plus, you can easily get them in stainless steel, so zero rust/corrosion issues.
I made the change over many years back when I was able to detect leaks due to the worm clamps on my gas lines. Have not had any leaks after making the change over (with the connections to tubing).

It's that oft mentioned trace a leak or check for no leak. Not sure why your clamps would come loose, some argue that's the reason for having them so they don't.
Get your bubbly spray out and check the connections everywhere.
Disconnect all the kegs and then pressure the lines and turn reg off, if low pressure drops leak is between low pressure valve and somewhere out there. If kegs don't hold pressure ie take reading on the kegs when disconnected ( both gas and liquid ) don't drink any! and then recheck later, if pressure drop and you were sure the carbonation was set in that keg then you probably have a keg leak.
Trouble is you could do all this find no leak then connect everything and bend a joint and get a leak after so you do need to go back to the bubbly spray.
Somewhere CO2 mass required to pour a pint is available and as mentioned above should be able to work out the mass of gas used per purge etc. Then additions and the sum will help you.
I know your pain having lost a cylinder when I setup my keg fridge. A leak alarm would be so handy in the lines.
I'm an EVA barrier and push fit connectors for gas and liquid with Tpieces for the distribution of the gas. Once fixed so they don't move or get fiercely bent all has been good. Touch wood.

sometimes you just gotta re-check everything. I recently put a new bottle in...a day later it was half gone...found the regulator outlet fitting had started leaking...

sometimes getting in and out of your kegerator you bump things, move stuff around, whatever...

it happens...keep spare tanks...

Back