Keezer build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edbert

Reaction score
I was really hoping to attach the collar to the lid for various reasons. On my 7.2cf GE freezer the rubber seal is pinched between the plastic lid liner and the outer sheet metal.

I was planning on removing that and putting it on the bottom of the collar but it looks like I'll have to destroy it to get it off of there. Is there a trick to removing it? I have seen some models have it retained inside a groove but this model does not seem so simple. I guess I should just cut it and use a different seal on the bottom. What do you think?

Putting the collar on the bottom now seems so much easier, I guess that is why it is done more often.

Hey Ed,
What part of Austin do you live? I am just south in Buda and I will also be turning a 7 cu ft freezer into a keezer soon. Would like to come check out your build if you are close by.

Chris

Well I decided to rip the seal off, it was hopelessly trapped beneath (above?) the plastic lining up the lid and the metal outer shell. I decided also to remove the plastic and about 2 inches of the foam behind it, that allowed me to use 2X4s for the collar and have the clearance of a 2X6. I want to keep the weight down since I am attaching the collar to the lid. I will line the entire lid assmbly with more insulation so I am not worried about losing some of that foam on top.

Hey Ed,
What part of Austin do you live? I am just south in Buda and I will also be turning a 7 cu ft freezer into a keezer soon.

I am in Round Rock.

Back