Keeping track of each brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
How do you guys keep track of everything on brew day?

I personally haven't kept track of much. Usually OG, date brewed, FG and date kegged. I have been using kits so I have the recipe and ingredients on that paper. I want to start keeping track of more info so I can fine tune each recipe if I like that beer. My next batch will be my first BIAB so I'll keep track of temps, SG during each process, time and then the OG and FG like before. I was thinking of getting a 3 hole binder to put the instructions that come with the kits and BeerSmith print outs which I will use to write down all the info I want to keep track of.

My LHBS uses paper bags for hops, yeast, etc. I make up my recipe in the store and write it on the bag. I add notes as I brew. I cut the bag and lay it on the bucket and later on the keg. The extra good ones are saved in an index card box.

I use Excel, brewing sheet looks like this

brewSheet.jpg

I use iBrewmaster on my iPhone to formate recipes and track batches... Makes it really easy to track nearly everything with only needing to record deviations from the plan. I title my batches with a batch number and then label my carboys and kegs with it for cross referencing...I love it.

I print out my beersmith brew steps, make notes of anything that's different from that, and then go back and make note of all that in Beersmith. So basically I measure and record everything that's specified on a Beersmith printout.

SWMBO gave me a "beer book", one of those cool looking moleskines, photocopied a few pics out of the Complete Joy of Homebrewing and pasted them throughout. It's pretty groovy dood.

Also BeerAlchemy :)

I use a notebook that has my recipes written in it and I take note of time, temps., additions in it. It has helped pinpoint mistakes made and notation of not to do it again. I have brew target on my computer, but I am too lazy to transfer the data. Your 3 ring binder would work great as well, the most important thing is to record your data somewhere to pinpoint what works and what doesn't.

I have a composition book that I write each recipe in and take notes on brew day. I just recently got Beersmith but, I will continue to use my beer book also. Even when I repeat a recipe, I rewrite it in the book on brew day and keep notes.

You can do the same thing with BeerSmith. Once you input the recipe, you create a brew log for that particular day's brewing. It means I don't have to wonder where my notebook went. ;)

I use a 3 ring binder and note typical stuff like OG, actual mash temp and reord temp loss,etc. I also started taking notes on hop aromas to create my own database of what I personally smell. I've really found good notes have led to better brewing.

I just use BeerSmith. I usually have my laptop with me playing music and I just add any notes right into the notes section. Any time I re-brew a batch, I keep 'pertinent' notes like 'hops foams quicker than normal' or 'alot of trub' and delete the 'one time' notes, like 'boiled over' or 'mash temp low'.

I use a log book that BasicBrewing puts out every year that is very nice. Although I do use BeerSmith to keep track of recipes and stuff, I like the physical log book where I can write stuff and keep track of dates.

In the book there is a spot to write down batch number. So that batch number is written on the bottle/cap. Makes it super simple to look up batches by number. I guess next year, I'll probably write year + batch number on the bottle

I use iBrewmaster on my ipad for recipes. Usually I write down the hop schedule on a piece of paper. Im veru unscientific about brewing (but more laid back). I only take a note on the OG

and word...brewtarget doubles as a reccipe backup, but my notes are typically in the word doc.

Brewtarget.. I checked that after seeing someone else mention it. Looked like it was worth a try. However, I tried to log on to that site.. but it said I had to log on using Facebook or Twitter. I don't like having to make anything on my FB public.. is there another way to download it?

Composition book. Every batch. I write the batch number, the name, the recipe, my target OG, FG, IBU, mash temp, amount of yeast pitched, and my water volumes. I also note the date it was brewed and the date I keg it

Then I note the temperature I set my fermentation chamber at, and the actual OG and FG. Tasting notes get written down later.

This makes it very simple for me to go back and repeat recipes that turn out well

I have a three ring binder that I use sheet protectors.

The front of the binder has a brew list with a number and the name for each brew.

I do a brew day checklist and print out the recipe. I then take notes on the checklist, everything from temps, to yeast used, size of starter, temp at pitching, fermentation temps and times. tasting notes or anything else that I think need to be noted. When I am done the recipe and the checklist go into one of the protectors.

I then go back and input the notes into my brew software so I have a hard copy and an electronic copy.

The notes have helped me improve the brews I do.

I use iBrewmaster for the iPhone and print my recipe on brewday and make all my notes on that. I then throw that into a sheet protector in a 3 ring binder. I also include my original grain bill from the LHBS and when I bottle it up I note the FG.

The app keeps everything pretty well organized in itself but I like having a paper copy in case the phone ever does anything funky to wipe out my log.

I just use a composition notebook & a rollerball pen. I record all the numbers,times ingredients & what order used/how...every single little thing I do or notice along the way from BK to different bottles at different weeks. What the tastes were at that point as well as aromas,colors,clarity,etc.
Keep notes of everything as much as possible.

I keep track of everything the old fashioned way, pen and paper. I might have to look into doing it on the iPad, but I have terrible visions of a couple years from now when the iPad breaks and I lose my entire brew log.

Latest posts

Back