Keeping constant temperature 1gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaggard

Reaction score
Guys I have 2 separate thermometers and get readings that vary as much as 15 degrees ferenheit. I know the mash will obviously be warmer at the bottom and cooler at the top - so I try for the middle - but even then can get wildly different readings. Any advice or tips on 1 gallon batches?

So are your 2 thermometers giving you different readings if you have them in the same location? Or is one thermometer at the top and one at the bottom? If they are giving you different readings in the same location I would calibrate your thermometers. Make an ice water solution, put the thermometers in and see if they read 0C or 32F. Then boil water and see if they read 100C or 212F (you may have to adjust for your altitude). If one of the thermometers is way off don't use it.

Mash 2 gallon batches, and then do two boils.:mug: Two baby beers and you can experiment. It is really hard to keep that volume of liquid the same temp. Most people will do it in a pot and keep the oven on low. Or preheat a cooler making sure there is no head space.

The problem is that when you have that low of volume the heat capacity of your liquid is easily influenced by the heat capacity of the container.

I have a vacuum insulated growler, but I'm not sure they make gallon sized ones, that would be perfect.

Back