Keep starter on stirplate vs putting in fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1L starter with S-05 on a stirplate since 24h. I think I missed fermentation as the Krausen is gone but I see the rest of is sticking on the flask. I will brew in 24h. Can I just let it sit that out or is better to put it in the fridge?

Thanks,

If you put it in the fridge you can then decant off most of the beer on top as not to add any excessive off flavors. But 1L probably wouldn't add much either way.

you can do either.

I'd stick it in the fridge for 24 hours to cold crash the yeast. pour the clear starter out during the boil and let it come up to temp for pitching.

Pouring the full starter into the wort works also.

You made your starter a month early? And with dry yeast to boot, honestly you may have done more harm than good. But at this point it's way past done and now sitting out hot, get that poor yeast in the fridge. I'd wake it up with more wort about 2 days before you brew.

Edit: just reread the brewing in 24h - my old eyes read the 24th. But yes I would chill and decant. Next time I'd just rehydrate the dry yeast, or if doing a starter with liquid let it run for about a day then put it in the fridge if not pitching.

Edit: just reread the brewing in 24h - my old eyes read the 24th. But yes I would chill and decant. Next time I'd just rehydrate the dry yeast, or if doing a starter with liquid let it run for about a day then put it in the fridge if not pitching.

Sorry, I was not clear. The 05 is harvested slurry and not dry yeast.

My fridge is pretty full....I put it in the basement and I'll brew this night.

Latest posts

Back