Karankawa Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed the extract version with Nottingham yeast last night. My OG was a little low (1.048), but oh well :) While brewing I was scanning through Papazian's book and in the hops variety chart it says that cluster is a poor aroma/flavoring hop. Is there a reason why cluster was used for both aroma and flavoring, and not bittering in this recipe? I know Papazian's opinion isn't the word of God, but just curious.

I'm excited about this one. It is bubbling away and smelling good!

BadgerHound... check this out...

http://www.onebeer.net/hopschart.html

Since Forrest is being so informative, I have a question. In the extract version the recipe says to steep the 1lb of 40L crystal malt for 25 minutes. What I am wondering is how much conversion are you getting from those grains by steeping for 25 minutes. Does the target OG on the recipe take into account the sugars from the malt, or just the extract?

Also, can anyone comment on the difference between the extract version and the all grain version, taste that is. I've never done a comparison myself, I always assumed the all grain version would have more unique character and definition. I want to stick to all grain but until I get a garage and can put together a more consistent process I do not want to try. I always fluctuate my efficiency and boil off and such which results in my hop utilization being... off.

My Karankawa is mashing BIAB style as we speak. Those Sorachi Ace hops sure do smell lemony, I have high hopes for this brew.

Bottled my Promotional IPA today too, the hydrometer sample tasted great!

Mine has been in the fermenter for about a week. The first 2 or 3 days it was going crazy and then all of the sudden it came to a crawl. Should I let it sit or repitch some yeast. I would really hate for something to go wrong with this brew. I'm too excited for the disappointment!

Mine has been in the fermenter for about a week. The first 2 or 3 days it was going crazy and then all of the sudden it came to a crawl. Should I let it sit or repitch some yeast. I would really hate for something to go wrong with this brew. I'm too excited for the disappointment!

Sounds normal. Let it sit another week or 2 at least.

There is only so much sugar for the yeast to eat. When the sugar is gone it is not going to bubble anymore.

You need to transfer to the seconday 2 days after you reach final gravity. Leave it in the primary about a week after the fementation starts.

Once in the secondary you can leave it for a week minimum. The secondary is for clarification. You can age it in the secondary or the bottles at that point. It takes 2 weeks to carbonate so you might as well age in the bottles so you are aging and carbonating at the same time.

Just don't leave it on the primary dregs for too long.

Forrest

Forrest, I wasn't going to put it in the secondary at all. I have heard on here so much that people just use the primary and thats it. Bad Idea?

Not using a secondary is bad advice. Using a secondary is not absolutley necessary but either is stopping at red lights.

A secondary will give you sediment free clear beer. The beer will taste better and look better.

There are a lot of myths created by homebrewers. They will tell you that transferring to a secondary gives you a greater risk of infection. This is false. By the time you transfer, the beer is alcohol. You would have to have a major major strain of bacteria to withstand the alcohol.

I like to hand a friend a beer that tastes its best and is clear and has no sediment in the bottle. That much sediment in the bottle definately effects the flavor.

Forrest

I am about to transfer this brew to the secondary myself. Course I will get a small sampling in to see where it is at.

Forrest, Okay so I will take your advice but I think that I have created a dilema for myself. Finding out from other people on the site that a secondary is not needed (but not really now) I brewed two beers and put the stout in the carboy (secondary). The pale ale is in the primary bucket. Would the stout be ok to skip secondary since clearness isnt a real issue? let me know! Thanks.

It depends how long the stout has been in the primary. Let the stout be in the carboy for at least 10 days and then bottle or keg. Move the pale ale to the carboy and then a week later bottle or keg the pale ale.

Looks like you need to brew and then a week later transfer and brew, and then a week later bottle transfer and brew.

Forrest

The Karankawa was my first allgrain brew. I just racked the beer to a secondary after 7 days in the primary. The beer fermented all the way down nicely (used the dry yeast option). I tasted a bit of the flat sample (I know this sample gives little insight to the final product). The sample had very little bitterness and a nice citrus (lemon is what I tasted, not overpowering, very pleasant) taste. Seems like this will be a very drinkable pale ale with a hint of the citrus flavor we all enjoy in our American IPA's.

Tasted mine when I moved it to secondary. It is bitter, but not overly so. It has a ways to go before being drank but I think itle turn out pretty good.

I've got it kegged and conditioning. I took a sample before kegging and was very pleased. Don't ask what it taste like cus i totally forgot haha i just remember being pleased with it.

Hopefully others chime in here Seven. I've got another week in secondary before I keg, so it will be a while before I can comment. If I were you I'd just take the plunge with it. If you like pale ale's I think you won't be disappointed.

Just took a gravity reading after 10 days of fermentation. It is done fermenting and the sample tastes pretty good. Lots of hop flavor and aroma, can definately taste the citrus. Can only get better from here...

im interested in how it came out i have my batch in seconadry now and was in a hurry and didnt get to sample it when transfering althought it smelled very hoppy!

so hows evryones pale ale coming any finnished beer yet?

I just had a few from my batch I brewed 6 weeks ago today, partial mash, bottle conditioned, no secondary.

I must say this is an excellent recipe. It ranks right up there with Ed's Hause Pale ale, but this has a more complex flavor, much different hops than I am used to using. I am not good enough at explaining flavors but I know a good beer when I have one and this is great. If you are on the fence about buying this kit, don't even think about and buy it. I don't think you will be disipointed. This is a great session beer you could drink these all night. In fact I probably will.

Gave mine a tasting after 3 days on gas. It is green but so far it is plenty tasty. I'll poor another in about a week and see how it is coming along.

We drank my keg Sunday night at a Super Bowl party. Everyone enjoyed it. Only one guy wasn't drinking off of it. I call that a success.

I have chosen this promotional kit from Austin Homebrew to be my first attempt at making beer. I am curious if anyone on the forum has made this kit and if so, how did it turn out.
Bill

I just purchased the all-grain kit - everything came in yesterday so hopefully will brew this weekend (2/20) - will keep you posted!

I brewed this on Monday, and man, that airlock smells awesome. I want to stick a straw in there and start drinking every time I swap out the ice in the swamp cooler.

Just brewed this today It doesnt say in the directions what the fermentation temps should be can anyone help out?

+1 this is a good one....I sampled a few, 3 weeks in. A little hop bite at the beginning - few more weeks in the bottle should take care of that. Also my 1st partial mash

Just ordered the Karankawa Pale Ale the other day along with a Belgian White. Made one of the Ambers last year and was very happy with the results (for a very short time, shoulda ordered more!). Love using my backwoods snowbanks outside my back door as my chiller! Thanks AHBS!

Back