Karankawa Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly_Bill

Reaction score
I have chosen this promotional kit from Austin Homebrew to be my first attempt at making beer. I am curious if anyone on the forum has made this kit and if so, how did it turn out.
Bill

i did the partial mash on thursday and used beathbrewers technique. hit my og right, and it is bubbling away in the laundry room nicely.

ben

i did the partial mash on thursday and used beathbrewers technique. hit my og right, and it is bubbling away in the laundry room nicely.

ben

I'll have to look up that tecnique... keep me posted how the beer comes out and if it is drinkable. I won't be starting mine for a week or so.
Bill

I haven't brewed that particular kit but I will say everytime I brew one of their kits
it turns out great. My recipes....not as much. Brew with confidence! If you pretty much follow their directions then your beer will be excellent!

Thanks tdoft... I think this will be a good kit for me to begin with because it will introduce me to what a "hoppy" beer tastes like and it is a pale ale, which should be a gradual transition to what I am used to drinking.
Bill

No problem! If I were you I'd head to the liquor store and start speeding up the "transition" ASAP. Not sure what brews are available in WV but Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is sort of the classic example of a good hoppy pale. Alternatively, go to ratebeer.com and look up the top rated pales and see which ones are available in your area. The great thing about homebrew is you can make it any way you want! If say Sierra Nevada is too hoppy for you, you could always step down the amount of hops you add from the AHS kit. I'm a hop head so I go the other way around. I take an AHS kit and either increase the hop flavor additions (10min to flameout) or add extra dryhopping or (more likely) both. Enjoy.

I have been sitting on an allgrain version of this kit for a couple weeks now and am planning a brew day. I would love to hear any feedback on this brew....it was a heckofa deal. Any thoughts on those sorachi hops?

I have been sitting on an allgrain version of this kit for a couple weeks now and am planning a brew day. I would love to hear any feedback on this brew....it was a heckofa deal. Any thoughts on those sorachi hops?

Mine isn't the all-grain version... it is the extract version, but I plan on getting it going within a few days of when I receive it. I'll let you know how it tastes as soon as it is ready.

I thought I read that Sorachi Ace is very lemony. I'd seach the forum to check. If that's true
I'd be tempted to sub in a different aromatic hop. Amarillo would be a good choice.

I thought I read that Sorachi Ace is very lemony. I'd seach the forum to check. If that's true
I'd be tempted to sub in a different aromatic hop. Amarillo would be a good choice.

The Sorachi is a 14% AA bittering hop. I have read that it's very citrousy and not as bitter as you would expect.

Sorachi ace is the bittering hop.

The Sorachi Ace made my entire garage smell on lemons, the SWMBO would disagree on what the smell was.

I brewed this about 10 days ago... still sitting in the primary.

I've only taken a whiff when replacing the blow-off tube w/ the airlock... but the only thing I can compare the smell to was early memories of Sunny Delight-- the pseudo orange juice.

It didn't small bad at all.. just different. Definitely a citrusy aroma.

OBVIOUSLY- that is about as unscientific as an early report can be... but I'm excited to get it kegged and start drinking.

I've only taken a whiff when replacing the blow-off tube w/ the airlock... but the only thing I can compare the smell to was early memories of Sunny Delight-- the pseudo orange juice.

I just threw up a little in my mouth. I pray that the final product isn't anything like sunny D.

I just threw up a little in my mouth. I pray that the final product isn't anything like sunny D.

Mike... what do you mean, "I just threw up a little..."?

Note: I stated earlier that I had the extract kit coming, when actually I have the mini-mash kit on order. Do the mini-mash kits come with unhopped extract? I would like to be able to be flexible in my choices of hops.
Bill

Mike... what do you mean, "I just threw up a little..."?

Note: I stated earlier that I had the extract kit coming, when actually I have the mini-mash kit on order. Do the mini-mash kits come with unhopped extract? I would like to be able to be flexible in my choices of hops.
Bill

That's my attempt at humor. My apologies.

The thought of Sunny D flavored beer is less than appealing.

Bill

Mini-Mash kits are a combo all-grain/extract kit. Some of the extract has been replaced with grains that you will need to mash. Depending on what you ordered with it, you may need some additional equipment. In addition, the extract that does come with it is unhopped.

Here is a good primer on partial mashing:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/?highlight=mini-mash

That's great! Even though I have never brewed any beer, I have brewed other "stuff" for years and have lots of equipment. I am strictly brewing/making beer and wine now and this kit I have ordered has me wondering if maybe I shouldn't use different hops than what comes in the kit. Maybe, maybe not... but at least I will have that option to replace the hops if I so desire.
Thanks much...
:mug:
Bill

Will do... I have decided to brew my "mini-mash" kit by the book... will advise all of the results as soon as I test it. I plan on giving it a couple of weeks after bottling to finish, then it is down the old hatch.

With the type of hops used it should be more like a month in the bottles, then you can try it. If it is too hoppy for you then wait some more.

I put in the description that it is aggressively hopped. The more you add any spice to a beer, hops are a spice, the longer it will take to mature.

Forrest

With the type of hops used it should be more like a month in the bottles, then you can try it. If it is too hoppy for you then wait some more.

I put in the description that it is aggressively hopped. The more you add any spice to a beer, hops are a spice, the longer it will take to mature.

Forrest

Darn... I really wanted to get this one in the glass asap... oh, well.

I brewed this about a week ago using the Deathbrewer mini-mash technique, except I did a full boil. Went well and am really looking forward to it, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm interested in the sorachi ace, I'm not sure I've ever had it but I heard good things. Forrest, do you have any tasting notes (does the sorachi come through)? and also wondering how familiar you are with the Karankawa's... weren't they cannibals?

PS: Are the tuesday specials comming back?

I'm interested in the sorachi ace, I'm not sure I've ever had it but I heard good things. Forrest, do you have any tasting notes (does the sorachi come through)? and also wondering how familiar you are with the Karankawa's... weren't they cannibals?

PS: Are the tuesday specials comming back?

The Tuesday specials are coming back.

Yes, the Karankawa tribe were cannibals that lived between where Houston and Corpus Christi are now.

The Sorachi hops will come through a little because it is a low cohumulone hop. The beer is a mouthful of flavor.

Forrest

I am doing this kit as well. The only thing is that if I follow the kits directions to the letter and put them in Beersmith I get a starting gravity almost 10 points lower than the instructions. When I change the batch size to 5 gallons from the 5.25 indicated in the instructions my starting gravity comes up 2 points lower.

The Tuesday specials are coming back.

Yes, the Karankawa tribe were cannibals that lived between where Houston and Corpus Christi are now.

The Sorachi hops will come through a little because it is a low cohumulone hop. The beer is a mouthful of flavor.

Forrest

Forrest... I researched the Karankawa tribe to check on their propensity toward cannibalism, and as it turns out, they were cannabilistic only in the traditional sense that they ate body parts of their vanquished enemies. It also turns out that virtually all other tribes engaged in this ritual. I am not an expert, only an old school teacher and retired truck driver that likes to research interesting topics. The information I gather is public domain and anyone willing to take the time to use Google or any other search engine can access this information.

Forrest... I researched the Karankawa tribe to check on their propensity toward cannibalism, and as it turns out, they were cannabilistic only in the traditional sense that they ate body parts of their vanquished enemies. It also turns out that virtually all other tribes engaged in this ritual. I am not an expert, only an old school teacher and retired truck driver that likes to research interesting topics. The information I gather is public domain and anyone willing to take the time to use Google or any other search engine can access this information.

Yeah, that's all well and good, but you're missing the point: the word Karankawa sounds friggin bad ass.

Yeah, that's all well and good, but you're missing the point: the word Karankawa sounds friggin bad ass.

I never said it wasn't a great name... and they were extremely badass... they were tall and tattooed from head to toe. It was diseases that the white man brought over from Europe that wiped them out... much like the Aztec and Mayan tribes in Central and South America.

Thought it only fair to Forrest & everyone to report back after taking a hydrometer sample/reading last night.

There is NO sickly sweet Sunny D smell left. It smelled wonderful and tasted really really nice- even in its warm/flat state.

Getting really excited to start drinking this.

Thought it only fair to Forrest & everyone to report back after taking a hydrometer sample/reading last night.

There is NO sickly sweet Sunny D smell left. It smelled wonderful and tasted really really nice- even in its warm/flat state.

Getting really excited to start drinking this.

Did you go strictly by the directions, or did you do a full boil?

Back