K meta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarman703

Reaction score
I was told to add water to my from concentrate wine to decrease the amour of empty space in my carboys. I have been racking every two weeks I added k meta the last racking two weeks ago. I would need to add 1 gal of water to take up this free space in my carboys. My question is would you all recommend adding 1 campden tablet with the water to prevent any oxidation. What would you all do? Thanks all.

I was told to add water to my from concentrate wine to decrease the amour of empty space in my carboys. I have been racking every two weeks I added k meta the last racking two weeks ago. I would need to add 1 gal of water to take up this free space in my carboys. My question is would you all recommend adding 1 campden tablet with the water to prevent any oxidation. What would you all do? Thanks all.

First, there is no reason at all to rack every two weeks! Only rack when you have lees more than 1/4" thick, or any lees at all in 60 days. don't rack more often, as you are needlessly exposing the wine to air as well as losing wine in the racking process.

top up with a similar wine, and not water. That's the best way to take up headspace- or rack to a smaller vessel.

I use 1 campden tablet per gallon at every other racking, which guestimates a S02 level of about 50 ppm. But again, I rack only when necessary and I may rack a wine twice over the course of the time in the carboy. Then I add 1 campden tablet per gallon at bottling.

A gallon!!!!!

You aren't racking correctly, take everything that fits through the racking cane on the first and second rackings. Oh yea, and wait a while between rackings.

Back