k meta question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gocougs1

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm pretty new to cider and I had read that it was a good idea to add metabisulfite when racking and such. Anyway I was racking my cider over to another carboy for longer storage (SpG was 1.005) and I accidentally added about 1/4 TB instead of 1/4 ts. Is this going to completely wipe out my good yeast? I am going to eventually bottle carbonate and am wondering if I will need to repitch some more yeast in order to do this...? Thanks in advance...

Do not worry too much! K-meta can be removed from the liquid.I think You can try to do some aeration techniques like vigorous stirring or racking several times with splashing or adding drops of hydrogen peroxide.

Sulfites dissipate with time, so I wouldn't worry about it. Wine yeast is tolerant of sulfites (that's why winemakers use them), but that is a pretty big dose. It may stun the yeast if the yeast are already getting pooped out from fermentation. You may need to add some fresh yeast at bottling, but probably not.

Ok thanks guys I was hoping that was the answer :mug:

One more question...is 1.005 too high to bottle or should I pitch more yeast now in an attempt to get it lower first?

that is a question of preference. .005-.010 is my sweet spot for preference of dryness, but it is all relative to what you prefer. keep in mind that most production ciders have been back sweetened to somewhere between 1.020-1.040.

Ok thanks guys I was hoping that was the answer :mug:

One more question...is 1.005 too high to bottle or should I pitch more yeast now in an attempt to get it lower first?

It may, or may not, be done at 1.005. It depends on the yeast strain, and temperature, and so on.

If it never changes, and remains at 1.005, I would guess that it is done but adding more fermentables to bottle carb may get it going again.

Latest posts

Back