Kölsch (Color question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrovic

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to create a kölsch recipe, but I'm having trouble in reaching the color specifications of BJCP. Could someone help me?
Thank you.

In mine I use 82% Weyermann pilsner, 10% Vienna with the rest light Munich. That makes a flavorful yet still crisp flavor and brings it to the bottom of the SRM range for a kolsch.

You can also shoot for the low end of OG (BJCP says 1.044, but you could go a few points lower), which both lightens your color and gives you something eminently sessionable, which Kolsch should be.

What exactly is your issue? Since 100% pilsner malt at say 1.048 should do just fine, you need to be more specific. (I mean, it's nice to have a bunch of people posting their grain bills, no doubt, but what is this about?!)

What exactly is your issue? Since 100% pilsner malt at say 1.048 should do just fine, you need to be more specific. (I mean, it's nice to have a bunch of people posting their grain bills, no doubt, but what is this about?!)
Using only 100% Pilsner malt (2 SRM) the color is lower than the minimum value for the style (3.5 SRM), but the BJCP says that the Kölsch can be made only with pilsner.

Using only 100% Pilsner malt (2 SRM) the color is lower than the minimum value for the style (3.5 SRM), but the BJCP says that the Kölsch can be made only with pilsner.

Well that sounds plain wrong. I mean, just check out pictures of e.g. Reissdorf Kölsch on Untappd. That stuff is essentially piss. 100% pilsner malt at a gravity between, say, 1.042 and 1.050, should be fine no matter what.

You could attempt to boil a little longer to darken. That said, if you want to make a 100% pils malt kolsch, color should be low in the priority list.

Oh! Or sinamar...

Latest posts

Back