just want to run this by you guys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wanted your thoughts. Brewing 11gal(finished product) of a 1.050 beer this Sunday. Mrmalty.com tells me I need about 385bil cells. The batch will be split into two carboys.

I have 2 jars, with 3-4oz each of yeast slurry harvested 9/13/2014. Do you think the yeast is "new" enough where I can pitch these directly into the carboy without a starter?

I don't have a vessel big enough to make a starter that could also work with my stir plate. This will be resolved soon, but not in time for this brew. I also know I don't have enough time to crash and decant the starter if I did use a big enough vessel (an empty carboy or growler). A starter is an option, it just wouldn't work with my stir plate.

If I do make a starter, I can make it anytime between this evening and Sunday.

What are your thoughts? What would you do?

You probably have enough viable yeast, but their vitality is low. Get them each in a small starter (maybe a liter each) and wake 'em up. Doesn't have to be on a stirplate - they just need some oxygen and nutrients to be ready to ferment the big batch.

I just did the exact same thing last night with some three week old yeast. Made up a few liters with lots of yeast nutrient added, pitched the old slurry, and it actually fermented out overnight but now the cells are much more viable.

At the very least the night before, but I like to allow an extra 24 hours so I can cool the starter, decant the liquid, and then pitch the pure culture. It's not the end of the world if you have to pitch the starter liquid, but if it was at a high temp (let's say over 72 degrees or so) then you might not want that in your beer.

At the very least the night before, but I like to allow an extra 24 hours so I can cool the starter, decant the liquid, and then pitch the pure culture. It's not the end of the world if you have to pitch the starter liquid, but if it was at a high temp (let's say over 72 degrees or so) then you might not want that in your beer.

The extra time will also allow the yeast to build up glycogen.

Back