Just tried Blue Moon for the first and last time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my wife's go to... Now she is starting to branch out, but she still enjoys it...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok. Some people have suggested the OP is a beer snob. Some have suggested I have discovered craft beer and now am turning up my nose to BMC products.

My post was to really understand what people see in the beer. I was actually quite excited to find a single of Blue Moon at the grocery store. I was thinking if it tasted anything close to an Allagash or Ommegang Wit, that it would be a pretty remarkable step for the large breweries. I did not add the squeeze of orange, as suggested. The label does say Belgian, so I expected something similar in style to what I know. At first, the early sips tasted a lot like an American lager. Then I started tasting the fruitiness. Towards the end of the glass, all I could taste was the orange. A lot of orange. Hence my original comment.

I never discovered craft beer. I was raised in Germany and have always had tasty beers in the house due to my father's tastes in English and German brews. In America, his go-to beer was a Yuengling when he couldn't get his hands on a good Pils or ale. When at parties, if offered a BMC product, I will sometimes indulge, but it always brings up the question as to why these products are so popular.

American tastes have grown in the culinary department. We see much more sophistication and range in cooking as well as in the brewing of coffee and tea. American fascination with good beer is along this same wavelength.

I hope that this forum supports many viewpoints, including those from me who wonder why Blue Moon sells. I have received a number of answers that seem to make sense, and I thank the candor of the posters who have been honest and unassuming without trying to paint me a snob.

I had my first Blue Moon in years a couple of weeks ago, and it was sweet and light. That's not necessarily a good thing, but it gets worse. I had a specialty beer from Blue Moon soon after: it's called Tongue Thai-ed, and it's flavored with lemongrass, among other things. It was incredibly soapy, and while I applaud the unorthodox ingredient, I recommend you avoid this beer.

No other flavors of Blue Moon are palatable at all. Even Buckler, supposedly Belgian pale, is a mess.

I used to like it, but my palate has moved on. I actually have a clone on tap now, not sure why, my wife likes it. I think it is ok, I like it better with a slice of orange.

I have had a couple really good Wits, I need to figure out a good recipe.

I would rather a coors light than a blue moon. I do know they come from the same place. I can't stand that crap. It must sell pretty good though because they keep making it...

As a bar manager I've always said "the only problem with blue moon is that it sells". I live and work in an area where i can easily get exceptional craft beers, but at the end of the day i gotta go with the numbers. Blue moon has done a very good job introducing people to a style outside of American lager and an even better job at brand recognition.

My father in law had free Blue Moon from the bar at his wedding reception. I chose to instead pay for Grain Belt Nordeast. Being in Minnesota, it seemed like the right thing to do.

When I go to the states i like to pick up a case or 2. Its not bad stuff, IMO. Everyone's taste buds are different I guess.

I wish they had Blue Moon at the Beer, BBQ, and Burgers event today here in San Antonio. They had some SNPA and Firestone Walker IPA, and we each got one, and were one of the few who were first in the door, but that was the end of it. One each. From there it was Budweiser products. I drank red wine instead, but was in the "Beer, BBQ, and Burgers" mood.

We will complain about the limited good beer and abundance of crappy beer when the price to get in wasn't cheap at all.

Back