just threw togther something weird...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
I put .5# honey directly into a 1 gallon carboy along with 1# rice syrup solids. boiled up 1.25 gallon of water poured it on top now im waiting for it to be cool to the touch and im going to add two crushed shanghai yeast balls.I have no idea what my expectations are but i pulled a sample for gravity (1.061) and it taste like candy. it seems that i got twice the amount of sugar from the RSS then brewersfriend predicted.

Please be very careful handling that glass going forward.
If you truly dumped hot sugar water in it, its structural integrity has been compromised.
Beware of the bottom falling off...

Cheers!

word?i put hot water in glass every week.
i routinely clean my carboys with water over 160F with PBW. What temp do you use?
brewing aside i pressure cook ball jars all the time. 250F+ at 15 PSI.

not only did i put hot water in a jug i shook it around for like an hour. Is that bad?

+1 !!! For the caution. Hot water is one thing, boiling water is another. Lots of carboy horror stories on the web. They’re not Pyrex. Be careful. I would haul it around with a milk crate, or at least a brew hauler.

i would never pour boiling water into cold glass. i waited for it to cool a bit after i boiled it...
anyway i really wanted to talk about rice syrup solids and shanghai yeast balls but i guess thats not the interesting part of my post.
I have never seen anything about no boil with rice syrup solids, there is basically no information about them at all on the web."increases ABV adds body" that sums it up.I have seen it say adds a dry, crisp character, i have seen it say that it lends a slight rice flavor.
1# is "normally used for 5 gallons. i used 1#in 1gallon. i want to see what characters are abundant at a ratio of 65%
The yeast balls are normally used to start the process of making saki or rice wine with cooked rice.Now they do not need to break down any long chain sugars in this rice/honey mix(maybe i should add yeast nutrient).
side note- 12 hours now since i pitched the yeast balls and its starting fermentation.

Last edited:
Back