Just Tasted My First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
Well, it's been a week since I bottled my Hefeweizen and I had to give one a taste after only a week in the bottle. Now I've never had a "green" beer before but this is definitely off a little bit. It's drinkable for sure but it has a slight off flavor that I can only describe as plastic like. I'm not sure if this is what "green" beer tastes like so I guess I will give it a few more weeks in the bottle to see.

BierMuncher said:
Definitley needs more time. How was the carbonation? Did it have a head? Did the beer effervesce from the sides of the glass.

Was this an extract recipe?

Yes it was an extract recipe. The color was too dark as well but I admit this was because I added the entire 6lbs of wheat malt extract at the beginning of the boil. The carbonation was slightly there but no where close to where a hefeweizen usually is.

give it time. if it had a 5oz pack of sugar for priming, it'll be ok, its just not 'there' yet.

Oh yeah, it'll be fine, try another one in a couple weeks and you'll be amazed. 14 days will make a huge difference! wait a month and you'll be in business.

That's the hardest part, waiting for it to condition. Like the others said it'll be fine in a couple weeks.

Back