just starting out... note taking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slatorian

Reaction score
hey, so i'm just beginning the homebrew thing and something that i want to do is to take notes along the way to see how my batches progress. just wondering if anybody here has input as to what to take notes on to improve future batches. waiting for the 1st brew to ferment as I type :ban:
thanks for the input everybody! really entering this new interest of mine with fervor :rockin:

For every batch I write down the grain bill, hops in oz, yeast, if I made a starter, how much water at what temperature I used, notes during the mash including times and the full long hand breakdown of my calculations for color, gravity, and bitterness, as well as beginning and final gravity with tasting notes. I have arranged these into two columns at the top of the left page consisting of grain on the left and a vertical list of hops and yeast on the right with notes on mashing horizontaly below those two. On the right page I write all my math in a specific order which is arbitrary, just consistent on the top half of the page. Everything else fits on the bottom half of both pages.

I take notes of every single step, from cleaning and sanitizing through the drinking. All times, temps, SG weekly...everything. I usually use up about 3 pages of my notebook for each batch and i am only doing extracts. My wife calls me anal, i think of it as thorough. I like to keep track of how thing progress during fermentation especially any unexpected temperature swings or anything that might effect the outcome. Take notes of anything you think is pertinent because if you have issues, good or bad, it cant hurt to have an excellent log of events from your brewday. I even log how many homebrews i drink while i am brewing :)

I use Beer Alchemy, which has space for notes. The more notes the better....up to a point. I found them very valuable for the first few years. Now that I pretty much know my system and what the outcome will be when I brew, not as much. Pretty much just make sure I've noted any amendments to the recipe.

All good suggestions in previous posts. I always think that I want to have enough info to be able to repeat a given batch. Also if any thing out of the ordinary occurs. I see in my notebood that over time I have become less verbose but specific data is always noted.

1.) Dates - brew and bottle , sample and consume
2.) Recipe - grain, hops, adjuncts, additions
3.) Water quanity and temps.
4.) OG and FG
5.) Yield in batch size and number of bottles
6.) Methods - mash tun / spargeing / maybe BIAB
7.) Efficency calculation
8.) Comments on taste - good and bad

I use BeerSmith and print out the brew sheet and then take notes in the extra space at the bottom or the sides if need be.

hey thanks for all of the great advice. this is exactly what i need. i can't wait to see how this first batch goes. onwards and upwards!

Back