Just starting and overwelmed by water talk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumack

Reaction score
I know not to use distilled water and I have been using spring water from the grocery store. I've been staying away from my tap water (Austin Texas) just because. I'm trying to learn the whole process and want it to come out decent, should I continue with the spring water or just go to tap?

We live in Texas in the winter for a couple of months, and I must say I haven't been impressed with the water in the places I've been. BUT- they have those water stations, looking like mini-windmills, all over the place. I think they would give you a good water (is it reverse osmosis water? or just drinking water?) as a base if your tap water is not great.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water/downloads/wqs_1q11.pdf

Actually, I just found this link for commercial users. It includes many more minerals.

It looks like you would need to dilute your tap water with around 80% distilled and add back Calcium and Sulfates. You would probably be better served by buying spring water for now until you get used to the brewing process and when you are ready to think about something else you can start building your water from distilled into exactly what you want.

We live in Texas in the winter for a couple of months, and I must say I haven't been impressed with the water in the places I've been. BUT- they have those water stations, looking like mini-windmills, all over the place. I think they would give you a good water (is it reverse osmosis water? or just drinking water?) as a base if your tap water is not great.

The majority of those water station's are reverse osmosis water.

Latest posts

Back