Just realized, I hopped a 10 gallon NEIPA with only 5 gallons worth of hops! DOH!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I been making 5 gallon NEIPAs and decided to do a 10 gallon instead. I just realized, I only put in the 5 gallon recipe amount of whirlpool hops. Not, double the amount as I should have! Can I make up for this by just adding more dry hops than usual? It should have been 9 oz whirlpool hops and I only did 4.5. It is supposed to be the same 9 oz for dry hopping (same variety of hops as whirlpool hops too) but, could I put in 4.5 oz more dry hops making it, 12.5 oz dry hops to try to compensate for the missing 4.5 oz of whirlpool hops? That would still be 18 oz total.
All I can think of is, it might taste a bit different because its dry hopping not, whirlpooling. Hope I articulated this so it makes sense.
Thanks Guys

I'd be tempted to steep the hops in 180F water, then cool and add that to the beer, assuming its actively fermenting. Could do it with a coffee press or a hop sack like making tea. Past that, I wouldn't risk the O2 on a NEIPA.

Decisions, decisions.
I need to hurry up and do whatever I'm going to do. I need to dry hop it tonight, while its still actively fermenting.

Decisions, decisions.
I need to hurry up and do whatever I'm going to do. I need to dry hop it tonight, while its still actively fermenting.

Dry hopping will add a bit of bitterness, which would compensate at least a bit for what you missed in the whirlpool. If it were me, I would now split ALL of the remaining hops (13.5 oz) - half during fermentation, then half once the fermentation is done..

Understood, however you probably have a sense of how it should be. Taste it you could be surprised.

I see what you're saying, I think. I DO know how it should taste, overall. I guess, I'll try tasting it first. I just imagine the first thing I will think is, it tastes WEAK! and I'll want to try dry hopping it with more than normal. I'm not sure it will ease my mind about the original F-up!, I made.

Dry hopping will add a bit of bitterness, which would compensate at least a bit for what you missed in the whirlpool. If it were me, I would now split ALL of the remaining hops (13.5 oz) - half during fermentation, then half once the fermentation is done..

My problem with that is, dry hopping a NEIPA after active fermentation is risking oxygen introduction. If you dry hop during the fermentation, the CO2 it is making will push out any O2 that may get in when you open the fermenter to pitch your hops.

My problem with that is, dry hopping a NEIPA after active fermentation is risking oxygen introduction. If you dry hop during the fermentation, the CO2 it is making will push out any O2 that may get in when you open the fermenter to pitch your hops.

True. My assumption was that you might have ways to mitigate this. If not, my apologies. I find that dry hopping during fermentation does contribute to the qualities of the beer, but a lot of the aromatics do blow off. I always try to have some, or all, of the dry hop after fermentation is done, or at a point where I will seal the fermenter for spunding.

True. My assumption was that you might have ways to mitigate this. If not, my apologies. I find that dry hopping during fermentation does contribute to the qualities of the beer, but a lot of the aromatics do blow off. I always try to have some, or all, of the dry hop after fermentation is done, or at a point where I will seal the fermenter for spunding.

No. I have no way to mitigate O2 introduction. That is why I do it the way I described. You did however, touch on something I've been wondering about. It always tastes great but, I HAVE noticed, it doesn't have much nose to it. Maybe, I should try moving the dry hopping a little later in the fermentation and see if I can get some more aroma while still having enough CO2 production to work in my favor. :rock:

If you are kegging in 5g cornies, just do a exbeeriment and add extra dry hopping to one keg and not the other. You can use the magnet method or hanging bag method to mitigate O2. After the exbeeriment you will know what you prefer for next time.

I would bet you have quite a nice beer with half but I may be in the minority.
Gonna second this - that's still a lot of hops, some IPAs are excessive, although I know it's probably not what you're going for but it'll still be a very hoppy ale and probably very nice.

I just made a hazy IPA and I added 22 OZ of dry hop into a 10 gallon batch. I added the hops to the fermenter prior to transferring the wort and pitching yeast. Like you, I have no way to do an oxygen free dry hop.

So yes, I would say add more dry hop. May not be the same result as the full whirl pool addition, but should help.

What's the actual volume in the fermenter? I think you could do this either way. 12.5 oz dry hop would be a little over an oz/gallon dry hop, 9oz a little under.
I'd probably add them to the dry hop after soft crash, but it sounds like you are bottling so can't purge the headspace during/after dry hopping?

What's the actual volume in the fermenter? I think you could do this either way. 12.5 oz dry hop would be a little over an oz/gallon dry hop, 9oz a little under.
I'd probably add them to the dry hop after soft crash, but it sounds like you are bottling so can't purge the headspace during/after dry hopping?

I'd never attempt a NEIPA if I didn't have kegs. The volume of the fermenters is 6.5 gallons each. 5 gallons in each one. I think it could go fine either way, too. Leaning toward 6 oz in each.

I'd never attempt a NEIPA if I didn't have kegs. The volume of the fermenters is 6.5 gallons each. 5 gallons in each one. I think it could go fine either way, too. Leaning toward 6 oz in each.

Can you CO2 purge the fermenter after adding the dry hops?

Can you CO2 purge the fermenter after adding the dry hops?

No. But, that is one of the reasons I dry hop at high krausen. The CO2 is constantly coming out while I have the lid off. No real way for O2 to enter. If any did, It'd be pushed out the airlock by the production of CO2.

Latest posts

Back