Just pitched my first batch of washed yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
I washed some yeast on saturday for the first time:rockin:. Just dumped one of the pints into a 5 gal batch of light wheat.

I think I read that if it is less than a week old, you dont need a starter. Sound right? Also, how the heck do you know what volume you really need? There was about 1/2 inch of yeast on the bottom of the pint jar. That seems about right for a 5 gal batch?? I just swirled it up and dumped her in. Cheers :mug:

Here is what the jar looked like. Its a little bit swirled up here from moving it from the counter to the brew area but you can see about how much yeast was in there... Will let you know how long it takes to start bubblin'

IMAG0736.jpg

That looks about right. Hmmm, maybe a bit short if it's washed.You'll be good in the morning. Mr. Malty has a slurry calculation.

Yeast is alot more forgiving I've found than what I've read. I'm on batch 4 from a single pack of Nottingham I bought in March.

First batch I washed it and split it into 2 beer bottled caped them and threw Em in the fridge. Few weeks later took it out shook it up once at room temp and pitched it in. I've semi washed that yeast cake 2 more times and pitched it a few days later (normally siphoned off beer then add a couple bottle waters.. Shake up real good. I wait 10 min then pour the slurry into a growler trying to leave as much of the settled trub as possible , there is some trub but the vast majority gets left behind. This is the last generation from this chain, but still have the other beer bottle in the fridge to pitch, and and repeat the process.

Don't take any of this as fact, I'm not one to be ocd about many things and have a life motto of "close enough"

Washed yeast in most cases have concentration of 1-2B/ml, depending on how good is it rinsed.
For 5 gal batch of 1.052 wort you"ll need ~180B cells, if you"re brewing hefeweizen dont be concerned if you underpitched it because you want estery aromas that underpitching can produce.

Back