Just picked up a 4 gallon brew kettle....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
It would nice to be able to brew 2 gallon extract kits. Anybody know where to buy 2 gallon brown ale ingredient kits? Thanks

your best bet is to either divide a five gallon recipe in half or find a 1 gallon recipe and double it. It really is that simple.:mug:

Either buy 2 one gallon kits, or just buy the ingredients to make 2 gallons. Almost all kits from online sellers have their instruction sheets and ingredient list online.

Thanks guys...all great ideas. Brewdemon has great prices, but they don't have a English Brown Ale recipe so I'll probably just order ingredients from Northern Brewers as I'm using their recipe for Caribou Slobber brown ale.

Just make your own recipes. Then you can use ingredients on hand and adjust for your system's efficiency. It's a little bit more math but will end up being cheaper than kits since you can buy your ingredients in bulk. I agree, 2.5 gallons will be perfect in a 4 gallon pot so just scale a standard recipe in half.

You can make almost any 5 gallon extract kit in a 4 gallon pot. You only boil about 2.5 gallons then add top up water. I started with Northern Brewer's kits. They are very good.

If you haven't tried http://www.malt.io it's pretty cool and allows you to scale recipes up and down. I have a few 1.5 gallon all grain batches that used a 2-gallon boil on my profile if you'd like to check it out.

Even with a 4 gallon pot you can easily do 5-gallon extract brews (boil 2-3 gallons) and just add water to the fermenter, too.

Don't know if it is a coincidence, but English Brown ale was first on the landing page, top left. Direct link in the event it changes on page reloads:
http://www.malt.io/users/nmargelz/recipes/english-nut-brown-ale

Thanks guys....but I've decided to order bulk grains and ingredients to brew future batches. Figured I'll save about $5 per gallon. Btw, do unused grains, malt syrup or hop pellets have to be refrigerated to maintain freshness? Thanks!

Last edited:
Unused grains do not have to be refrigerated but the conventional wisdom is that they have the longest shelf life if they are stored unmilled.

Hops are best frozen sealed with as little air as possible.

Malt syrup should be OK but put a sheet of plastic wrap on the surface.

Unused grains do not have to be refrigerated but the conventional wisdom is that they have the longest shelf life if they are stored unmilled.

Hops are best frozen sealed with as little air as possible.

Malt syrup should be OK but put a sheet of plastic wrap on the surface.

Thank you! Btw, I'll using the hops and grains within 3-4 weeks....they should stay fairly fresh for a month shouldn't they?

Get beersmith then look up recipes here and and or elsewhere (northern brewer has a list of their ingredients on all the beer kits). Enter in those recipes with the batch size in Beersmith and have it scale the recipe to whatever batch size you want.

Back