just out of curiosity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyfife

Reaction score
Hi all,

No problems here, just curious as to why:
I made my first 11 gallon batch (always made 5 gallons), and i split it into 2 separate fermenters of 5.5 each. I pitched a 2 liter 3rd generation US-05 into 1 fermenter, and a new package of US-05 into the other.

The 2 liter starter was bubbling next day quite vigorously, and the new package nothing. The day after, still very vigorous on the 2 liter starter, and the new package was bubbling about once every 45 seconds.

It is now 4 days later, and the 2 liter starter is chugging along nicely, but the new package of US-05 has now volcanoed out through the blow off tube.

So my question is:
1:Why would the 2 liter starter, which started off very quickly, not require a blow off tube, when it was very vigorous to start, and the new package of US-05, which was slow to start, now is volcanoing out the blow off? Shouldn't the 2 liter starter be more active than the fresh package?

It was a cream ale/1.055 SG

Not a problem, but was just curious as to why one is more active than the other, when they are identical batches of the same volume.

Thanks,
Barney

Great question! As my name indicates, I'm no expert. I'd guess it has to do with proper pitch rates and the starter yeast already chugging away whereas the starter pack has to build itself up in the fermentor.

I'm just spit ballin' here until someone comes in here and lays some knowledge down on our a$$es.

I'm not a yeast expert either but I have listened to enough of Jamil to have some knowledge. The starter pitch was an appropriate amount of yeast and they are eating at a comfortable rate.

The under pitched dry yeast came into the wort and said look at all this frickin sugar and started multiplying like crazy. They will most likely ferment all the sugar but because of the stress of over production would cause off flavors in the beer.

I would bet the 2 liter starter will have less off flavors than the dry yeast.

I'm not a yeast expert either but I have listened to enough of Jamil to have some knowledge. The starter pitch was an appropriate amount of yeast and they are eating at a comfortable rate.

The under pitched dry yeast came into the wort and said look at all this frickin sugar and started multiplying like crazy. They will most likely ferment all the sugar but because of the stress of over production would cause off flavors in the beer.

I would bet the 2 liter starter will have less off flavors than the dry yeast.

That makes sense to me. I put the numbers in Brewers Friend yeast calc. and it say the dry pack is 100 billion cells short. Since switching to AG, about 30 batches ago, this is the first time i pitched a dry us-05, always used starters. When i did use 05 for extract batches, the LHB said just dump the 05 in the fermenter, and it made good beer. But this hobby always seems to throw something new at me

I probably would have been better off splitting the 2 liter starter then,(1 liter in each fermenter?)

It is now 5 days from pitching yeast and the dry pack is still puking out the lid of my bucket fermenter. Dam blowoff keeps plugging up. The 2 liter starter is still chugging along just fine. I should mention both buckets are in a swamp cooler at 62 deg.

Thanks to all for your responses
Barney

Great question! As my name indicates, I'm no expert. I'd guess it has to do with proper pitch rates and the starter yeast already chugging away whereas the starter pack has to build itself up in the fermentor.

I'm just spit ballin' here until someone comes in here and lays some knowledge down on our a$$es.

Thanks for your answer. BSBrewer posted a similar response to yours, and it makes sense now. Think I will stick with making starters, but it was my first 10 gallon batch attempt, and it was a complete cluster f**k. Gotta iron out a few things when making 10 gallon batches

Thanks
Barney

Back