Just noticed a crack in my glass carboy... problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcd

Reaction score
I noticed there is a crack several inches long in my glass carboy, which is currently holding 5 gallons of a london brown ale. I felt along it... nothing is escaping, no liquid is coming out, but I'm slightly worried about contamination for some reason. I guess it depends on whether it extends all the way through to the inside? Any thoughts on this?

If it isn't leaking you don't have to worry about contamination getting in. Be very careful when you rack. Glass is weird stuff, sometimes a crack will just sit there for years, but I'd replace the carboy.

It is already in there, so you lose nothing by letting it go. See what happens, maybe it will turn out superb and you can call it your Broken Glass Bass... ha ha

Brewpilot said:
It is already in there, so you lose nothing by letting it go. See what happens, maybe it will turn out superb and you can call it your Broken Glass Bass... ha ha

Or maybe Crack in my Bass Ale.. LOL

I second the 'Be Careful' comment.

I too would tape the crack (using a lot of tape) and after I carefully racked off, I'd recycle the carboy--- that crack represents a great deal of potential danger that isn't worth the few bucks it'll cost you to replace it.

Also, when racking time comes make sure you only move the thing when someone else is around. If that thing comes apart the likelihood of you having a serious injury is significant. Having someone there who can help you if you get hurt could be the difference between a trip to the hospital and bleeding out on your kitchen floor.

Who has a link to that guy who got all cut up when a carboy broke on him?

homebrewer_99 said:
Wrap that sucker in duct tape as soon as you can...DO NOT PRESS ON THE GLASS!!!

I'd wear safety goggles, leather gloves, long sleeves, long pants and closed toe shoes when handling that sucker till you get your beer racked off and that carboy in the trash can outside. Good luck and be careful.

Color me cautious, but I've seen loads of nasty cuts in my days.

I would take absolutely no chance and get yourself one of these outfits:

japaryanobe.jpg

Dog suit is optional.

The good advice was already provided

Yep, just as I do and have been saying for years...use milk crates to carry them around in when full.:D ;)

You can also buy a dolly at Menard's ($15.00), place 2 boards across the center of the dolly (1" boards) and cover with a thin carpet (the kind in your cars trunk). Then you'll have transportation for 2 carboys without any chance of it tipping over if 1 is removed.

I also use 1 dolly to transport my DME (I have 6 - 55# boxes on 1).

homebrewer_99 said:
Yep, just as I do and have been saying for years...use milk crates to carry them around in when full.:D ;)

You can also buy a dolly at Menard's ($15.00), place 2 boards across the center of the dolly (1" boards) and cover with a thin carpet (the kind in your cars trunk). Then you'll have transportation for 2 carboys without any chance of it tipping over if 1 is removed.

I also use 1 dolly to transport my DME (I have 6 - 55# boxes on 1).

Then again, you could use a Better-Bottle and not worry about this stuff. Man, that carboy article is scary.

And thanks to all for the safety tips. I'll definitely be getting a couple milk crates as I've almost tripped a couple times trying to carry my carboy over the child gate and down the stairs. I also find that using Star San makes my carboys nice and slippery which is great for making sweet love to your carb..

I mean it makes your carboys very dangerous.

I'd like to see a plastic shell on carboys...if it cracks...a good chance your not going to get the trip to the hospital.

I think you should call a haz-mat team and the bomb squad to remove it ;-)

just kidding but I wouldn't use it again, every time the temperature changes the crack will probably get a little longer!

homebrewer_99 said:
I looked at these, but I prefer to stick with the milk crates. I also place several layers of cardboard in the bottoms of the crates to absorb any shock caused by placing them down.:D .

I did the same thing with the strap system but I used closed cell foam (from my old army sleeping mat). I ended up taking them out again because I found that when more in contact with the cellar floor, they seemed to maintain cooler temps.

Back