Just made my first own recipe Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftG40

Reaction score
So I've spent most of tonight Juicing 9kg of pears, having a go at my own recipe cider...wish me luck :)

The recipe is for a 1 gallon batch:-

9kg of conference pears

250g caster sugar (disolved in 300ml boiled water)

1g Acesulphame K sweetener

1 tsp Pectolase

2g Nutrient

1 Campden tablet

It's resting in the bottle for 24 hours or so before I pitch the cider yeast.

OG of the raw pear juice was 1.036

After the sugar solution addition SG 1.064.

Edit: Its been sitting for a few hours & some sediment has settled in the tube with the hydrometer in & it's on 1.068 now

To be honest I don't really know what to expect but wanted to give it a go so we will see I suppose

Cheers :mug:

You are in a Perry making country, any country or farm markets near you that would have some real perry pears you can add to give it some tannins? I think you are going to have a lot of sediment from the juicing, you are going to have to top off at some point, maybe some apple juice to keep the volume up later when you rack. WVMJ

You are in a Perry making country, any country or farm markets near you that would have some real perry pears you can add to give it some tannins? I think you are going to have a lot of sediment from the juicing, you are going to have to top off at some point, maybe some apple juice to keep the volume up later when you rack. WVMJ

Yeah you're right, Checked this morning and there's a good inch of sediment. I did run the juice through a fine sieve about 6-7 times to remove most of it though but some has made it through...

When I rack, if I have to add pressed apple juice, will it be best to add another campden tablet? or heat the apple juice first? I don't want to risk contamination

Is Tannin essential when making from fresh juice? I won't be adding the yeast until tomorrow so I have time to add if necessary? My lhbs sell tannin powder if I need

I like sweet carbonated cider if it makes any difference

Thanks for the help

Back