Just joined today + Kveik brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bebocklater

Reaction score
Don't know why I didn't think of it before!
I've been brewing on a simple 3-tier brewery I built 20 years ago, after my wife got me hooked with a beer kit for Christmas. Many, MANY brews since then, and a few medals. Not into competitions anymore, but recently studying brewing history and historic beers. Which leads me to this post about brewing with Kveik yeast. Historic & amazing stuff!
After doing some reading, I bought some dried Voss kveik from Norway on ebay, and made a simple 5 gal. recipe that would highlight the yeast's contribution:
14lbs. Pilsner malt
1/2 oz. Citra @ boil and @ knockout
1 tsp. dried kveik yeast
1/2 lb. of Juniper branches, half used in the mash tun and half used in heating the sparge water
After the boil, I chilled to only 100˚, and held the fermenter @ 97˚ on a heat pad and wrapped in a blanket. The beer finished after two days (!), transferred to secondary on day 3, kegged on day 4, and I'm drinking it today! Fully fermented at TG 1016 per my Brewtarget recipe, and delicious, with no off flavors or esters. The flavor I perceive is tart, with orange/lemon notes, kind of like biting into an orange peel. Bready and cloudy, and I imagine it would make a killer NEIPA.
I'll be harvesting the yeast cake to dry & freeze, and also made a yeast log, to dry & re-use some yeast the old-fashioned way.
Here's a few pix of my brewery (it rolls out on the patio behind the blinds) and the kveik brew:

Brew tower & kegerator.JPG
Kegerator B.jpg
1st Kveik-97˚.JPG
1st Kveik ale.JPG
yeast log.JPG

Welcome! I've brewed once with Kveik, made a NEIPA with New Zealand-y hops, the only NEIPA I've ever made and turned out pretty well.

What is the final/bottom photo? A counterweight to pull up a grain bag?

That's the yeast log, a small piece of maple to dip into the kraeusen to collect & dry yeast.

I'm currently fermenting a hefeweizen on the kveik yeast cake, which took off in 90 minutes. I'm going to harvest the yeast cake & dry it for future use.

you should also look into making starters. overbuild and then decant, library yeast in mason jars in the fridge for future use. theres a thread or two in the yeast forum on this!

Back