Just got 2 kegs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstateMike

Reaction score
Ok, so I am going to be slowly moving from bottling to kegging, Just got two older used kegs the other day, and they appear to be Firestones. When I took them apart, I noticed that the gas dip tube is nylon, and narrower than the replacement stainless steel dip tubes. They are discolored, but appear to be still functional. I have time before I get a keezer, so I'm looking at my options for the gas dip tube. Here is what I see so far:

1: Clean the existing tubes and reuse them.

2: Buy new nylon dip tubes for Firestone kegs.

3: Drill out the IN side of the keg with a 5/16" cobalt drill bit so that a replacement stainless steel dip tube will fit.

4: Use a tubing cutter and cut down a standard stainless steel dip tube to 1/4 inch so that it will fit in the IN side and rest on the existing shoulder, no drilling required.

Thinking of doing #4, I really don't see why the gas dip tube needs to extend into the tank. I'm sure others have seen this before, and would like to know what you did.

I've seen posts on here where folks have done what you're describing in #4, I would think it just needs to be long enough to hold the o-ring in place. I've got one of these but I just bought the plastic replacement dip tubes from Williams. Lots of folks go with #3 as well.

If there's nothing wrong with the dip tubes, I'd find something else to replace.
One of my keg fleet has a pretty red plastic gas dip tube that's entirely intact.
I've used it for years and see no reason to replace it...

Cheers!

So I went with option #4, and I think its a good thing that I did. The replacement O rings did not seem to fit properly on the nylon dip tubes. But with these ones cut down, I believe it will work out. They are short enough so they don't hit the collar inside the dip tube, and the O ring sits like it should.

gas dip tubes.jpg

Back