just for fun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyfife

Reaction score
Over at my buddies brother-in-laws having a couple of beer, and he says to me if I wanted some coopers extract cans that he had in the garage. I says sure, so he gets me a can. The bottom is rusted, but still has plastic lid on top, with directions, and the yeast pack. I said, how freaking old are these cans, he says not sure, but somewhere around 10 years old. The can wasn't bulging or swollen, so for shi*s and giggles, I bought some new yeast and put her on. I followed the directions exactly. I figure I am only out 1 kg of corn sugar, and a pack of yeast. The extract seemed ok, and smelled ok, but,well...............I will keep you posted.

Barney

Curious to see the outcome.

Will post back in 6 weeks or so, after I try one. Hopefully it turns out, because he said he has about 30 more cans.(Didn't ask, don't wanna know).
Forgot to say that it is Coopers Australian Draught

I saw on Youtube a guy who made a 15 year old Mr.Beer,using bread yeast,
and a coconut flavor addition.Did the extract turn a darker shade from age?
His attempt looked like a stout,although the package read pale ale.

I saw on Youtube a guy who made a 15 year old Mr.Beer,using bread yeast,
and a coconut flavor addition.Did the extract turn a darker shade from age?
His attempt looked like a stout,although the package read pale ale.

Yes, the extract was very dark, but i wasn't sure exactly what color Aussie Draught is supposed to look like. Probably quite light i would assume. Not too worried about color at this stage, but if it tastes ok, I will get some more and dry hop, and use DME. I just made my first all grain batch the other day with my Coleman mashtun i made.

hahaha I did a similar trial with a Mr. Beer that I picked up at a yard sale, basically just for the LBK and bottles. I had planned on throwing out everything except the bottles and the LBK but I guess I sat the LME on a shelf in the garage and forgot about it. Months later I'm cleaning up and there it is. I was brewing the next day and thought Eh, WTH! I'll toss it in and throw the ABV up a little.

Only beer to date that hasn't been good-great. I had to drink 4+ gallons of that crap. Funny thing was a couple friends thought it was pretty good so I gave them some whenever I thought about it.

Back