Just finished my first double header!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e lo

Reaction score
Today will be my last chance to brew before I defend my thesis in June, so I figured I'd better make it count.

I did my first double brew day, and it was a gas. I just finished cleaning up, and it's 7:30. Not bad for a first double day, esp. without a sculpture -- lugging sparge water out from the kitchen to the patio is a PITA!

Anyway, I mashed in a SMaSH (Munich & Fuggles) at about 10:00 this AM. A later start than I wanted, but not too bad. I crushed finer than usual, because I'm still trying to get my eff. above ~70%. Well, I improved my efficiency into the kettle to 78% (yay!) but at the cost of my first stuck sparge (boo!) Got it flowing again after some jockeying around, and proceeded as normal.

Got the second batch (a Wit) mashed in as the first one was boiling. No drama with this one, fortunately. All in all, a damn fun day of brewing!

bru-er said:
Have fun once you finish the thesis.....this should help. What is your topic?

Thanks. I will, and it should. So should SWMBO's and my trip to Isla Holbox.

As for the thesis, I study the molecular biology of medulloblastoma, the most common malignant brain tumor in children. Kind of odd, since my lab is primarily a skin cancer lab, but my PI has been indulgent, and he had written the study of "extracutaneous tumors" into one of his R01 grants, so it's kosher.

Back