Just finished kegging my first beer, questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brevity

Reaction score
I'm brand new to kegging and I think it went okay. I have a few questions in retrospect.
I sanitized by filling half the corny with starsan solution and shaking it up, then hooking up gas and pumping it out my picnic tap for a while. I've heard that starsan can create a slime inside of hoses if not rinsed out, how should I rinse it at this point? The hose is clamped to the QD's barb. Will I have to disconnect one of the ends?

I siphoned my beer in while the keg still had starsan foam inside, is this okay? I shook as much out as I could but that stuff isn't easy to force out.

While siphoning the beer from the primary it was allowed a little bit of splashing due to my hose being a couple inches off the bottom of the keg. I corrected it within 5 seconds or so, is my beer oxidized or am I being a paranoid freak? Also, should I have pumped the empty keg with some co2 before starting the siphon to push the oxygen out? I forgot to do this.

Some yeast from the cake was transferred to the keg, will this simply settle out at the bottom and become history after the first couple pints?

Thank you!

Have not heard thestarsan slime issue, I think you'll be fine.
Starsan foam is fine.
The little bit of splashing is ok, in the future it's a good idea to purge the keg with co2 before filling but even I don't always remember to do this.
Sediment, including yeast will come out the first pint or two if you let it settle put for a week or two.
Have fun.

Thanks rawlus. I have another question now that it's been in the fridge carbing for the last couple hours. I have the regulator set to 20 psi. If I watch the low pressure gauge I see the needle slowly creep down to the 19 psi mark over about 12 seconds, then it ticks back up to 20 psi. It does this repeatedly. Any ideas as to what this might signify?

Thanks rawlus. I have another question now that it's been in the fridge carbing for the last couple hours. I have the regulator set to 20 psi. If I watch the low pressure gauge I see the needle slowly creep down to the 19 psi mark over about 12 seconds, then it ticks back up to 20 psi. It does this repeatedly. Any ideas as to what this might signify?

Sounds to me that as the beer in your keg absorbs the Co2 the pressure will decrease and then the regulator compensates for the loss and increases the pressure.

Just watch that pressure 20 is a little high if you leave it for too long it will overcarb at that pressure

Sounds to me that as the beer in your keg absorbs the Co2 the pressure will decrease and then the regulator compensates for the loss and increases the pressure.

I was thinking either this or a leak, I'm hoping it's the beer :)

redman67 said:
Just watch that pressure 20 is a little high if you leave it for too long it will overcarb at that pressure

I plan on lowering it to serving pressure after 24 hours. I just wanted to give a little kick start.

Back