Just Finished 1st AG: Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone Recipe
First, thanks to all who answered my questions last week ("AG Procedure-Please Check") I listened to most and should have listened to alf - but I learned a lot.

First the problems:
1. my mash-out boiling water volume was not enough to raise the grain bed to 168 degrees. (alf said that it wouldn't) :)
I sparged (1st sparge) at 185 degrees and still the grain bed was only around 162 degrees.
My second sparge was also at 185+ degrees and the grain bed did get to 168 degrees.
I am not sure if I did anything wrong by raising the grain bed to 168 on the final sparge and not the initial mash-out. Hopefully it won't effect the outcome.

2. my final running was at 1.036 - too high for great efficiency.

Positive Things:
1. My efficiency was 71% - I was happy with that for my first AG batch.
2. I hit my mash temp of 153 degrees
3. My first use of an IC was successful - it cooled the wort quickly and was able to keep most of the junk out of the primary.
4. I put a little over 5 gallons into the primary after the boil.

OG ended up being 1.068 - Beersmith set it at 1.067 but Yooper and others set it at 1.070.

Looking forward to seeing how it turned out.
Thank you again for all of your help.

Yeah, 71% is pretty darn good! It'll be a really good beer! That was also my first AG and still my favorite of all my beers. It sounds like a great day!

Congrats and welcome to the AG club. Your efficiency is quite good for a first-timer (mine was only 60%).:mug:

I just brewed this one two weekends ago and it turned out well (so far). It was my third AG and it went the smoothest of the three. I ended up with an OG of 1.073 with 5 gallons into the primary. Tasted pretty good transferring to secondary. Cant wait to try it out. Let us know how yours does.

Greg

Latest posts

Back