Just crack my first hombrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
i cracked open my first homebrew this evening. i wanted to wait but due to not having any other beer and having a lil fight with the misses i caved.

It was a Autumn Amber Ale extract kit from midwest. It was undercarbed so i know it needs a lil bit more time in the bottle. It was decent... but it had a little bit of a strange taste... i made sure i left the residual yeast in the bottom of the bottle but it had a slight twang type taste.... any ideas?

Its young and not ready... kind of pointless to troubleshoot when the flavor is going to continue to evolve over the next few weeks.

CliffMongoloid said:
i cracked open my first homebrew this evening. i wanted to wait but due to not having any other beer and having a lil fight with the misses i caved.

It was a Autumn Amber Ale extract kit from midwest. It was undercarbed so i know it needs a lil bit more time in the bottle. It was decent... but it had a little bit of a strange taste... i made sure i left the residual yeast in the bottom of the bottle but it had a slight twang type taste.... any ideas?

How long has it been in bottle? Beers often have funny flavors as they are carbing and conditioning. Until its been three to four weeks in the bottle at 70f, its hard to tell if there is really something wrong.

That said, it is good to taste young beers as a new brewer because it gives you a sense of where your beer is in the conditioning process.

How long has it been in bottle? Beers often have funny flavors as they are carbing and conditioning. Until its been three to four weeks in the bottle at 70f, its hard to tell if there is really something wrong.

That said, it is good to taste young beers as a new brewer because it gives you a sense of where your beer is in the conditioning process.

Its been in the bottle for 16 days... at around 50 degrees ambient... will that be an issue?

CliffMongoloid said:
Its been in the bottle for 16 days... at around 50 degrees ambient... will that be an issue?

Yes... 30 days at 70 - 75 is what I shoot for. At 50 your yeast is inactive and will not Carb the beer. Put them some place warm for a month and then try them.

veritas524 said:
Yes... 30 days at 70 - 75 is what I shoot for. At 50 your yeast is inactive and will not Carb the beer. Put them some place warm for a month and then try them.

This. Sorta. Carbing will occur but take significantly longer @ 50F especially if it is an ale yeast.

PhelanKA7 said:
This. Sorta. Carbing will occur but take significantly longer @ 50F especially if it is an ale yeast.

I doubt they would fully Carb at that temp.

Back