Just built an IC. Wow, that was easy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McHaven

Reaction score
I borrowed my friend's chiller for my brewday today. It was my first time using one, and I just loved that I got my wort down to 75 degrees in just under 20 minutes. So, I went out to Lowe's this afternoon and bought my supplies.

20 foot of copper 3/8" OD tubing- 25 bucks
Hose clamps and 3/8" ID tubing- 5 bucks or so.

So for 30 bucks I had my basic chiller, but I hate wasting water. So I bought a small fountain pump from the lawn and garden section for 15 bucks.

I came home, grabbed my spare corney keg and wrapped the tubing around it to make my coil. Super easy. Probably less than 10 minutes.

Just tested it and it all works perfectly.

I know it's just 20 feet, but any chiller is better than no chiller, and I doubt there's much difference between 20' and 25'. I never knew it was this easy, or I wouldn't have waited so long.

Your copper was pricey! I built mine this past weekend, $14 for 25' at Lowes. After having used it, I am considering grabbing another roll and doubling it. I didn't realize that speeding things up would make me more impatient!

Damn. I didn't see anything cheaper while I was there. Oh well, still cheaper than a store bought IC.

Latest posts

Back