Just Bottled, Now I have a Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent1mezzo

Reaction score
So I just bottled my first batch, I mixed in the sugar and poured it into each bottle. I'm currently using 1 litre plastic bottles (all I had at the time).

Everything went well until I bottled the last bottle. Because I had to tilt the fermenter to get the last bit of beer into the bottle it stirred up a lot of trub. The bottle ended up really cloudy.

I checked the bottles this morning and the trub filled one already felt a lot more carbonated than the rest. I don't want this one to burst and I'm wondering what should I do? Should I release some carbonation early? Should I just leave it?

Sorry for the noob questions.

I'd just leave it. I doubt that the carbonation is going to burst a plastic bottle.

In the future, it's a good idea to make a sugar solution with boiling water, let it cool, and then put that in a bottling bucket. Then add the beer to the bucket, taking care not to slosh the beer around in the bucket to avoid aerating / oxidizing the beer.

And if you're going to try to get every last bit of beer out of your batches, then yes, you're going to get a bottle or two that has a lot of sediment in it.

I'd just leave it. I doubt that the carbonation is going to burst a plastic bottle.

In the future, it's a good idea to make a sugar solution with boiling water, let it cool, and then put that in a bottling bucket. Then add the beer to the bucket, taking care not to slosh the beer around in the bucket to avoid aerating / oxidizing the beer.

And if you're going to try to get every last bit of beer out of your batches, then yes, you're going to get a bottle or two that has a lot of sediment in it.

Ya, a bottling bucket is definitely on my list. I bought this kit well before reading any information on here or anything at all. I'll leave them be for now.

I wouldn't worry about it. Lando is right, once you get a bottling bucket, then you don't have to worry about it at all because you can batch prime. I'd get a few 12oz bottles, then you aren't left with a half-full 1 liter bottle towards the end or feel like you have to get every little drop left to fill it.

If you are bottling from a bucket without a spigot, and you are using a racking can, it is usually easier to leave that last bit in the bucket and consider it sacrifice for clearer beer.

As one poster above stated, adding the priming sugar to a boiled water solution is a terrific way to get around this. Also by gently whirl pooling your wort with the priming solution you should get a much more even distribution of yeast and sugar in each bottle.

On tap: B-1 Bomber IPA, CA Steam, Belgian Wit, Blonde Ale, American Stout, German Heffewitzen, Irish Red Ale. In primary: British Pub Ale

Back