Just bottled my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epistrummer

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch Saturday. It's Thomas Cooper's IPA. Today is monday and I took one bottle out to sample and it already was carbonated. Isn't that kind of early? Should I worry about bursting bottles the next couple weeks of conditioning? I used a priming sugar calculator to determine the amount of dextrose used. Maybe I should relax, shut up and have another homebrew, I don't know. But thought I would ask the pros to be sure. (by the way, it still tastes pretty green. I don't plan to open another one until 2-3 weeks from now.)

There will be some carbonation after a week, especially if you have it conditioning at or above 75°F. However, the carbonation usually does not last very long, and the head dissipates relatively quickly. You will find superior carbonation and head retention after 3 weeks.

I've never had a beer fully carbonated in two days. Do you mean it just had a bit of carbonation or some fizz when you opened it? How much corn sugar did you use in how many gallons? A general amount is 5 oz. in 5 gallons (roughly 2/3 cup)

Pez.

Did you have two stable Fgs three days apart?

If you watch Poindexter's video on time lapsed carbonation, you will see that in many instances, before a beer is carbed it my gush, that's not from infection, or mixing of sugars, and it's not really carbed yer, but because the co2 hasn't evened out- it hasn't been pulled fully into the beer. Think of it as there's a lot of co2 being generated and most of it is in the headspace, not in the beer, so there's still "over pressure" in the bottle, so it gushes when it is opened.

But when the beer is truly carbed it all evens out, across the bottles.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBlnTfZ2iw]time lapse carbonation - YouTube[/ame]

thanks Revvy. It foamed over at first like you are saying, but wasn't really carbonated once I started drinking it. Looks like my first batch won't be a bunch of time-bombs after all. And to respond to a question above, I used about 3/4 cup of dextrose to prime a 5 gallon batch, which is what I was instructed to do by a priming calculator.

Latest posts

Back