Just because I want to...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rytr

Reaction score
I am about to rack my brown ale to secondary and I feel like it needs a punch. So I was thinking about dry hopping with an 1oz of Willamette.

Now, I think I want to add a flavoring to it as well or in lieu of. What is all your thoughts on any of the following?

Vanilla Been
Coffee
Coconut
Peppers (not sure this will work with a brown)

Here is my recipe: (I know it is Extract, but we are remodeling our kitchen and I can't use any of my big kettles)

6.6lbs Amber LME
.75lb 2-Row Barley
.25lb Crystal 90
.25lb Pale Chocolate
.25lb Biscuit
.12lb Midnight Wheat

1oz Willamette @ 60 min
.5oz Crystal @ 30 min
.5oz Crystal @ 5 min

Windsor Dry Yeast

I am open to any and all suggestions.
Cheers

id do any of those first 3. They would all work fine in a brown and would definitely change the beer more than a small dry hop like that. I wouldnt rack to secondary though. There's really no point, your only adding a tiny bit of matter into the fermentor

I am about to rack my brown ale to secondary and I feel like it needs a punch. So I was thinking about dry hopping with an 1oz of Willamette.

Now, I think I want to add a flavoring to it as well or in lieu of. What is all your thoughts on any of the following?

Vanilla Been
Coffee
Coconut
Peppers (not sure this will work with a brown)

Here is my recipe: (I know it is Extract, but we are remodeling our kitchen and I can't use any of my big kettles)

6.6lbs Amber LME
.75lb 2-Row Barley
.25lb Crystal 90
.25lb Pale Chocolate
.25lb Biscuit
.12lb Midnight Wheat

1oz Willamette @ 60 min
.5oz Crystal @ 30 min
.5oz Crystal @ 5 min

Windsor Dry Yeast

I am open to any and all suggestions.
Cheers

If you go with the vanilla bean be careful. If it is a fresh, sticky bean half of one will be plenty in 5 gallons. If it is an old dried up thing you get from Kroger one might barely be enough.

On way to get around the variability is to soak the bean in vodka (or bourbon if you like that, but that might overpower a brown). Then pull and sample and add the flavored vodka by the drop until you determine where you like it. Then based on sample size and drops you can calculate how much to add to your fermentor.

Hard to beat toasted coconut in a good brown ale. I toasted 2 lbs and let it sit for 5 days after fermentation was complete.

Vanilla might work well too.

Thanks for the advice everyone...

I think I have decided to rack to two 3 gallon carboys and do a vanilla in one and a coconut in the other. Then either bottle separate of possibly do a blend.

Unless of course I change my mind by the time I get home. (which is highly likely)

Cheers!

Back