Just assembling my BIAB setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazorUK

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've just sold my trusty brew setup I've been using for the past 2-3 years and have some funds to play with. So I am looking at learning a new to me brewing technique.

What I'm looking to get out of this system is a bit of a hybrid setup. I want it to be BIAB, portable and I also want to be able to give it a nice place at home to do my smaller batches on. I also want mash temp stability. With the BCS control panel I am putting together at home for my main rig I will have the control I want at home, so not looking for temp control help here.

On the road is where I am looking for most help.

Here's what I've put together so far:

• A custom 20 gallon kettle from Spike Brewing with the false bottom and a recirc port at the top.
  • A custom BIAB from wilserbrewer
  • A Blichmann floor burner
  • A new pump for recirculating.

I'm thinking a portable RIMS system of some sort that is flexible enough to be used where I don't know what power source I am getting. I think that limits me to a 15 amp setup to keep it the most flexible.

Initial thoughts are using the propane to get to or close to mash temps and then recirc through the rims to maintain.

Been looking at the following in my initial search:

So those of you that have done this, what do you recommend? Any gotchas to look out for?

What size batches are you looking to do with that nice large 20 gallon Spike kettle?

Reason I ask is that I have found temps much more stable and easy to control via accurate strike temps with larger batches.

Mostly 10 gallon batches, maybe some smaller 5 gallon ones for imperial stouts, and possibly (but less likely) some 15 gallon batches of some lighter beers.

Moving from a 10 gallon cooler mashtun, and a keggle setup to this. Less stuff to haul to my buddies when I go over there to brew.

His place is a windy area though and he has a terrible time keeping his mash temps regulated in his 3 tier keggle setup.

Brew In A Basket or Bag? because the baskets seem pretty sweet... I wish I knew there was one out there when I did my start up. Now I have the tough decision, make less beer and save up slowly - toughy, make no beer and buy the basket - seems impossible.

Initially I'll be doing the bag, wilserbrewer's bags and pulley arrived today, they look well put together!

I ended up buying the rims from Bobby and the element along with the ebrewsupply pid control panel kit as well.

Also ordered a couple of ssbrewtech brew buckets.

New kettle is due to arrive on Friday, so I may brew on Sunday a simple batch on the propane just to get my feet wet with the biab process, and start to learn the new equipment .

Looking forward to it!

Back