Just another Noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulflo

Reaction score
I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I just started brewing beer around the middle of Nov. I've Brewed a Porter which turned out to be ok by my standards. My friend that brews said it turned out pretty good with no really noticeable mistakes. I brewed an apricot wheat the next day. Cracked open my first apricot wheat in my opinion its not to bad.

Today I'm brewing a wheat beer. I'm hoping to learn how to brew some good German wheat beers. If any of you can, want to, or will give me any advice it will be much appreciated.

Paul

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

First advice is to read howtobrew.com if you haven't already, second is to read HBT, third is to BREW LOTS! :D Nothing makes you better like practice!

Best lesson for most beers (except hefes/wheats) is PATIENCE, give 'em a good long time in primary and a good long time in bottles before drinking them and the quality will be MUCH better.

Ok I'm not sure what to look up in the forms. I checked fermentation got pictures, checked temperatures got nothing. Ok Brewed Fri night completed about 9pm mt time. I'm getting nothing for activity. Temperature in my house is around 66-70 could it be it's taking longer because of the temperature, or is it possible its bad yeast. its only been 48 hours so I'm not to concerned at this time just curious.

Also, yeast starters save stress...

Mine start almost immediately after pitching!

:cross:

Did you take specific gravity readings with a hydrometer? Did you pitch your yeast while your wort was still too warm? Did you aerate the wort to give those yeast the ability to reproduce?

I pitched my yeast about 9pm friday night. So far I've gotten nothing for fermantation.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it. The wort was around 84 degrees, I poured it into 2.5 gallons of water that was about 68 degrees. After airating total temp was about 74 degrees. My specific gravity was 1.071 (I hope I put that in right it was reading 9% alchol) Mabe I should have waited, but I pitched my yeast. Could it be I pitched the yeast to earily, or bad yeast? I'm waiting to see if it starts fermenting in the next day or so. If it doesn't is there a problem with puttin in more yeast?

Thanks for any input

Paul

Latest posts

Back