Just about lager time for us northerners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Train

Reaction score
This is a technique that I tried last year with great success. If you live in an area that experiences high temps of 30-40F max all winter, then you can take advantage of those temps and setup a lager/fermentation chamber at precise temps with natural cooling. Even if your high temps are above 40F, then take advantage of the cool winter months and setup an extra ale fermentation chamber. Last winter I was easily able to hold 30F during subzero ambient temps.

What you'll need:

1) A temp controller. Cost various, but can be had for as low as $30-$40 for a DIY STC-1000. Check out some of the sponsers for a pre-assembled STC-1000+ for a little more money. These are covered all over the site elsewhere so I won't get into details.

2) A heat wrap. $14 plus shipping at reptilebasics.com. I recommend a 3' x 12" and opt for them to crimp the wire insulator set.

3) Some sort of insulated chamber. I use a large cooler that mainly sees summertime use. You could make one with foam sheet insulation. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if you could make use with a big cardboard box and blankets.

All you need to do is combine the 3 items above in your garage or someplace that isn't heated. I use the unheated breezeway between my garage and main house.

Here's my winter fermentation chamber from the outside. You can see the temp currently holding 66F because we've had a warm spell here so I decided to make an IPA this week. I'm sure it'll be replaced by a lager of some sort.

540F7A7A-9FB0-4E1E-83BE-6A33E660AD2F_zps0z8edq3t.jpg

These next two pictures are a peak into the inside. I have a frozen 2 liter water bottle that I've been swapping twice daily, just to make sure that the temp stays down a little bit.

E87D0676-F60D-4A9E-BD4E-1E63587691CC_zpsassxhgtn.jpg

2A38CDFD-E891-4B4F-8746-EC5B9602691F_zps09kgcbqd.jpg

One of the nice things about this technique is that it is super cheap to run. I put my Kill-A-Watt on it last winter and it hardly used any juice.

Bonus: use the heat tape and temp controller in the summer to ferment saisons.

:rockin:

Pictures aren't working for me. Sounds like a cool idea though.

Back