Just a quick one.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon240

Reaction score
Ok, so airlock activity (which does not indicate fermentation at all) has stopped almost all together on my first brew. Thus far I've resisted taking gravity readings (btw it was put in the fermenter 11/25/08, so fairly recently). So badly I want to take a gravity reading and do so for the next couple days to see if its done so I can bottle it.

I know I shouldnt but I need to be told.... So if you feel I should just RDWHAHB (without the homebrew and just empty bottles so I can have one), then let me know

It sounds like you already know the answer to this one... :) Personally, I let all my batches go for 10 to 14 days then go to the keg. It not only gives the yeast time to finish, but also to clean up any byproducts of the fermentation.

If I were you, I'd let it sit for a total of 10 to 14 days then take your next step.

+1 on the above. Allowing time for the yeast to finish up is good for the beer.

I absolutely agree. Don't even look at the primary for 5 more days, and don't consider bottling for 9 more days.

That said- go ahead and sanitize a wine thief (or turkey baster) and pull out a sample to fill your hydrometer jar. Take the SG, but don't give it too much thought. Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,DRINK the hydrometer sample. It should taste like warm flat beer.

The next batch, don't be so eager. But, for the first one, it's way too hard to wait. If you check the SG today, then you can walk away for at least another week.

I ferment for 7-10 days, and had not problems. You will see the airlock becoming less active over time. I have waited 3 days after I see no activity until I bottle, but always ALWAYS take an FG reading.

You can even take Gravity readings during fermentation do see if it has reached a good FG.

I think I'll let it hit the 1 week mark, then take a gravity reading, let it sit till next weekend, take another. If all is well from there I'll bottle. I knew the answer just needed some outside force to help me ease my n00bish desires

Back