Roasting levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
So, I am getting really into this roasting thing. LOL. I have my Behmore, that apparently has made it's rounds here, and I am really digging it. I roasted a darker roast, took it into the Second Crack, and while I liked it, the wife did not. My latest attempt was a Columbian Inza Vereda from Sweet Maria's. I did a light roast where I basically took it about 45 seconds to a minute after FC started. Wife liked this much better, and to be honest I did too. Had a much different flavor than the Big Brew places, Starbucks Peets and Philz, while still maintaining a nice coffee flavor. My wife was asking if I could maybe take it to a medium type roast, to which I replied, "Sure, I can do that" as any red blooded novice who doesn't want to admit that would do. So, my question to the pro's is, would medium be more towards the two minute mark after FC? I don't want to hit second crack, but I know this all subjective to what the roaster will do. Just asking for any input on how you all would approach a more medium roast vs a lighter roast. As always, Rock On!!!!!!!!

A medium roast is an extremely subjective term. At larger coffee shops a medium can be well into second crack. At some third wave roasters, medium can be your forty-five seconds out from first crack. Their dark roast may be before second crack hits. For me I consider a medium roast the point where the beans have lost most of their acidity and favors more of the chocolate and spice notes over the lighter fruit and floral notes.

When I target a medium roast I usually start off going out to the very start of second crack. Then I might back off on temperature/time if it lacks origin character. Every bean is different so it takes some experimentation to know where you want to drop a particular bean for your preferred medium. For more delicate coffees I usually go closer to the middle of the two cracks as my preferred medium. Many coffees excel in a medium roast closer to second crack.

You can also work up and add fifteen seconds at a time to try to find the middle ground you like.

I have read some pros using percentages of development time past the start of first crack. I don't know the breakouts based on light/med/dark, and YMMV, but I have had good luck at about 18-22%, which gives me a lightish roast. (I use a heat gun and bowl, so my preferences may not be ideal for others.) Note that the percentage is based on the TOTAL roast time. So, if 1C starts at 8:00, a 20% development would require an additional 2 minutes. Thus, the 2:00 development time out of the total 10 minutes.

@redrocker652002 I'm glad you're having fun with the Behmor roaster! The best advice I can give it buy a bigger bag of the same bean and roast it multiple ways. It sounds like you're keeping great notes roasting, so keep doing that but also try to do that when you and your wife are enjoying the coffee too. So roast one lighter, one minute after FC, another batch 90 seconds after FC (First Crack), then another two minutes after FC, maybe even try to push one to the start of SC (Second Crack) then start cooling it as quickly as possible.

I find personally I like my African beans lighter than my Central & South American beans.

Keep at it and continue having fun with it! Cheers bud!

@redrocker652002 I'm glad you're having fun with the Behmor roaster! The best advice I can give it buy a bigger bag of the same bean and roast it multiple ways. It sounds like you're keeping great notes roasting, so keep doing that but also try to do that when you and your wife are enjoying the coffee too. So roast one lighter, one minute after FC, another batch 90 seconds after FC (First Crack), then another two minutes after FC, maybe even try to push one to the start of SC (Second Crack) then start cooling it as quickly as possible.

I find personally I like my African beans lighter than my Central & South American beans.

Keep at it and continue having fun with it! Cheers bud!
That's what I was planning. I bought 3 one pound bags of different styles, and am going to split them in thirds and roast each a bit different. We have enjoyed all the brews that far, and she has really liked one in particular. Even my mom wants me to roast some for her as well. LOL.

It is fun, and much easier than I thought it would be, so it is cool to do. Thanks again for the encouragement. Rock On!!!!!!!

Back