Just a beginner...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolepa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I retired one year ago and now I realized that I am getting a bit bored... I was hoping that smoking and sausage making will make my busy but... not really - there is only that much of meat and sausages we can eat... Recently my mother-in-low gave me about 30 pounds of honey (she stopped using it) so I decided why not to try to make some mead and make it my another hobby. So... I went to my local MoreBeer store and got all I need for this. On one thing I bought (and pretty important thing) I made wrong decision ( I guess)... I bought 7 gallons plastic carboy while my plan is to make 4 gallons of mead. Now I have a question for you: can I use 7 gallon carboy to make 4 gallons of mead? Is it to big or I shouldn't be worry of that? Thank you!

Welcome!

For a primary fermenter, it's totally fine. You'd want to rack into a more appropriately sized vessel(s) for longer conditioning.

I highly recommend starting with 1G batches. Honey's really expensive and your first few batches will be largely experimental.

The narrow necked ones are good for minimizing headspace and exposure to oxygen in secondary fermentation or later. The wide mouths are nice if you want to do easy addition/removal for fruit or other additives that won't be so easy to fit through a literal bottleneck.

Welcome to retirement!

I joined the same 16 months ago. I haven't gotten that bored yet although Wisconsin winters seem to really drag on but they did while I was working too. I find lots to do inside until it warms up enough outside. I just brew beer and try not to drink too much with all this free time.

Happy Mead Making! Take lots of notes and keep reading the info folks have to share on this site.

I just brew beer and try not to drink too much with all this free time.

Happy Mead Making! Take lots of notes and keep reading the info folks have to share on this site.
Thank you, OB! You are exactly right - I am trying to do the same: got to control myself with not to drink too much of beer... with only one difference - I am buying my beer. I was going to jump into beer making 1 year before my retirement but my wife said that meat smoking and sausage making is more then enough for her! Ha! Not for me... so... after one year since I retired (and having enough of free honey) I said the mead making is "less invasive" and cheaper procedure then beer brewing and here I am... Hope you enjoy your retirement...

You won't go wrong making mead.

Sausage making and smoking is a big plus. I make my own sausage but haven't tired the smoked meat avenue yet.

Sometimes you need to make baby steps - try the mead route then maybe beer making.

I'm enjoying retirement every day! Thanks, and I hope the same for you too!!

Exactly what I did: started with mead and cider, did a couple extract brews, then finally moved into BIAB after about 9 months.
Yeap.. This was my initial goal but like I said before the wife was on my way.... I didn't make any mead just yet but hope I will and like it. Brewing beer is my next step in closer future and please be ready because I will annoy you with bunch of questions!!! :)

Back