Judge Yeast by bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarTeBrew

Reaction score
Maybe this is a stupid question but I have to ask.

For all beer, I made so far I used dry pithing. Usually, when the yeast starts to slow down I see on my bubbler that the CO2 is accumulating in the chamber and its release with one loud "blup" sound that can be her from the next room.

This time I used two 05 bags of dry yeast for my IPA and I did a starter 24h before using 2 cans of Propper starter.
After few days yeast slowed down and I installed the Twin Bubble Airloc.

The bubbles are so gentle with this batch it means it slowly goes out bubble by bubble instead of accumulating like before.

I am a rookie so please be easy on me with replies :)

sounds like you need a blow off tube instead of a bubbler? probably got krausen clugging it in the fermenter? otherwise it should go like a hi-hat?

You didn't use an airlock until fermentation was nearing its end? Once fermentation slows, the production of c02 is very low so the airlock will not bubble nearly as much as it would earlier in fermentation.

Bubbles slowing down are not a sign that fermentation having ended, it just means that there is less CO2 pressure pushing out of the fermenter. The only way to know is to take a gravity reading and then take one the next day to...if they are the same, it's done fermenting. Whether that was the question you were getting at, I am not sure, but a lot of noobs focus on bubbles only.

That was quick than.
OG was 1.064 after 10 days I see FG=1.008
Is ther any recomendation to not use so many yeast?
It was two packages of US-05 yeast in starter spin for 24h?

5 gallon batch? One pack of 05 is plenty. No need for Propper starter.

Back