Journal/Note example?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuds

Reaction score
So I tried doing a search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.... Does anyone have an example of what they use for journals or note taking? Typically, I'm a very technology-prone guy, but I feel that this hobby just lends itself towards handwritten notes, and would be very interested in seeing what everyone else uses. Thanks in advance, as always!

Google Docs spreadsheet. Cells for grain bill, hops, yeast, OG, FG, ABV, Efficiency, Attenuation, method notes, tasting notes.

Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 11.07.52 PM.png

Thanks for this, this is incredibly useful... I forgot to mention in my original post that I was curious as to WHAT everyone recorded as well, this is perfect, thanks!

Mine looks something like this: Sorry it's a MS Word Doc and I just copied and pasted.

Blonde Beauty v3 (1.9 gallon AG) Sept 2015 Date/Start: 9/16/15 Date Bottled: 10/20/15 Bottled Vol. 1.75 g # Bottles 19

2 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 77.5 %
12.8 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 22.5 %
0.14 oz Apollo [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 18.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 4 -
0.20 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 5 6.6 IBUs
0.20 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 28.2 IBUs Calories: 176.4 kcal/12oz

Wort Temperature at Pitch: 79*F Brew House Eff: 87 % Grain Weight 3.55 lbs

1a- Bring 2.87 G water to 175*.
1b- Fill cooler w/hot water cover and prepare ingredients. (1:15)
2a-Pour water back to boil pot and then return 2.25 g to cooler should be 163
b-Place grain bag in cooler and slowly add grains and mix
c-Temp of mix should be 156*, cover and mash for 1 hour.
Temp @ 60=156 45 =153 30 = 15 = 152 @ 0 = 151
d-Empty cooler in to boil kettle. Measure volume (2.0 g )
e- Sparge grain w/remaining water then add to boil pot 60B= SG=
f-Measure volume (2.75 G)
3-Measure Brix =( 10.2 ) SG (1.0425) bring wort to boil. 15B=10 SG=41
4- Add 0.14 oz Apollo hops to boil at 60 min 30B= SG=
5-At 15 min add 1/4 tsp of Irish Moss 15B=10.8 SG=45
6-a-At10 min add .2 oz Columbus hops 0 B=10.8 SG=45
b At 5 min 2 oz Malto-Dextrine
c-Add .2 oz Columbus hops when temp below 180*
7-Cooled volume = 2 gallons
8-
9-Pour into fermenter and measure volume ( 1.9 g)
10-Airate well and take specific gravity Brix= ( 14 ) SG. ( 1.059 )
11-Add US-05 yeast and place in freezer

Thanks for this, this is incredibly useful... I forgot to mention in my original post that I was curious as to WHAT everyone recorded as well, this is perfect, thanks!

No example handy but I think my process of notation is something like this.

Recipe name, date.

Total mash water, chemical additions, strike temp and grain bill (then details as to the results and the stability over the mash period - now I'll be adding a pH reading here as well)

Total Sparge water, temp, volume used, duration of sparge, volume collected and its SG (also adding a pH reading here).

Post boil volume, SG, pH again, volume to fermenters. Notes on aeration time.

Fermentation lag, temp profile over ferm period, gravity readings daily after a reasonable length.

Total wort transferred to kegs, carb pressure, temp and duration till carbed.

Initial tasting notes, again after a few more weeks cold.

Notes? I think I took those in college. I haven't taken any brewing notes, keep saying I should and then on brew day I just say F it.

I use Brew Target freeware / open-source. Let's you play with your own recipies (out of gutter people), document notes, check your stuff against recognized beer style, has a graphic display showing IBUs, gravities and other stuff. "What if" scenarios are a snap in this program. Plus, you say you are technologically capable - it has a cool user form written on sql-lite database...easy - simple - free.

I also use brewtarget. After you create your recipe it allows you to print out your brewday instructions which give you all of the steps and timing of your hop additions etc... I tape that to the wall outside when I'm brewing and write my notes on the bottom: actual mash temps, volumes etc so I can see if I hit my numbers or if I need to make adjustments for next time. Then I use a three hole punch and put it in my brewing binder. I write tasting notes after its kegged on the back of the sheet. Works great!

I use Microsoft OneNote. You can insert spreadsheets and use it as a normal word document. It has a nice layout and saves automatically. I created a spreadsheet to monitor/track past, current, & future brews and keep a "shopping list" of supplies I need to order.

I use Beersmith to design my beers and have the recipe info digitally. But on brew day I always use a journal. I log all my steps, temp measurements, screw ups, hydrometer readings etc etc. There's something about actually writing it down that I enjoy during the brew day. I also keep tasting and kegging notes in the journal. It's nice to be able to go back and read through the batches I've made. I've found that as I learn more and more I can read back through my notes and see where I made errors in the batch...cool stuff.

MS Word is one the worst applications I have ever had the nauseating need to encounter in over 20 years. Excel...logical, capable and useful and expensive...try OpenOffice...Word sucks..MS sucks - no other way to describe it.
Bill is a thief.

I write notes in my computer after the fact. It's amazing I can ever remember the OG from brew day.

I use a combination of Brewtarget and this journal. Brewtarget for formulating, exbeerimenting and making shopping lists, and the journal for recording the real-world process and results.

I suppose I could document everything electronically, but I have a shiny little glowing (probably unrealistic) dream of having one of my kids finding my paper brewing journals many years down the line and brewing up one of ol' Dad's recipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back