Jopenbier experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piotr

Reaction score
I'm trying to recreate an old german bier, Danziger Jopenbier

There is little data about it, we know that the beer was huge in extract (> 40 Plato), lightly hoped, very long boil (>20h), spontanous fermentation (including mould), sweet, low attenuated.
Since the beer was ancient, we can easily guess that they didn't use any specialty malts, and the hops had low alpha-acid content.

here are some helpful links:
http://hobbybrauer.de/modules.php?name=eBoard&file=viewthread&tid=8738
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2008/02/danziger-joppenbier.html
in the Radical Brewing book there is also a chapter about it.

In my recipe I used (for 6 galons):
20 kg of malt (~50/50 continental pils and munich)
100 g of Hallertau Mittelfruh hops 4.5% a-a

Infusion mashing (62-68*C); it was difficult to mainain constant temp. in such a thick mash.

Fly sparge until I collected some 60 liters of wort (~19 Plato).

8 hrs of boil, until the wort reached 40 Plato (> 50% evaporation rate).
Hops for last 60'

I pitched it with Wyeast Roeselare blend, I used all "slurry" left after my Flanders Red fermentation.

Fermentation started in 24 hrs, there was big foam for some 5 days. I left it on primary for 3 weeks, until all the airlock activity ceased, and now I racked it to a plastic bucket for a prolonged seconary fermentation. I've also added some oak chips (20g).

So far the beer fermented out to 23 Plato (in FFT it reached 17 Plato) , it is really sweet and caramely, it has some "funk" in aroma, but no sourness. I hope it will catch some oxygen in the plastic bucket and it will develop some sourness in time.

Do you have any helpful suggestions for further development of this beer?

Hi

What happened with the beer? Did you already taste it?
You forgot about the penicillium roqueforti for the fermentation!!!

Cheers

Has anybody tried this again? By the descriptions I wouldn't expect it to be that sour even if spontaneously fermented.

Latest posts

Back